Was told my divorce was final so I remarried...well guess what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedgirl

In 1995 I was married in the state of California. He went to jail for domestic violence against me and was released after 10 days. After that he went into hiding and I was unable to locate him. I finally found him 10 years later. The paperwork was filed and after a few months I was told that my divorce to him was final.

In Feb 2006, my job transferred me to Kansas where I met a wonderful man and fell in love. We have been married almost a year and have a beautiful son together. I found out today after trying to get a copy of my divorce paperwork that there was a mixup at the courthouse and I am not legally divorced yet.

Does that mean that I need to re-marry my current husband and that our 1st marriage was never binding?

Please help...I am desperate.

First of all, why did you wait ten years to get a divorce?

Second of all, who told you that you were divorced?

Third, are you divorced now?

I didn't wait 10 years by choice. In California, as the Petitioner I was the only one required to sign the papers with the exception of the Acceptance of Service. I had to hire a P.I. (when I had the money) to track him down. He family was no help and no one would tell me where he was. Once he was found, he was served by a Process Server.

The paralegal that helped me with my paperwork told me that I was divorced.

I only found all this out today. So no, I am not legally divorced yet. I am being sent the last piece of paperwork and should have it early next week.

So...divorce first and then I would need to re-marry my current husband in Kansas? Is there anything else involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back