Was this age discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jptman

I recently submitted a resume to a local city for a position which I had previously held. It has been 10 years since I was employed by the city. I left on good terms (moved out of state), with a good work record. I received a rejection letter saying that they "requested interviews of those candidates that appeared best suited to a position with the city."

I sent an email asking how I was not suited, and the reply was the the city has grown and they are now processing double the work. Are they saying that I am to old to keep up? Then says, recent changes in income tax law. Are they saying I am to stupid to learn the new changes? And finally that they were looking for someone with more recent experience. The job posting states municiple income tax experience desired.

Am I just imagining things?

Yes, you are imagining things and being WAY too sensitive. The language you described is boilerplate language commonly used in generic letters. Few, if any, employers tailor-write their rejection letters if they send them at all. They write one general letter that says a bunch of nothing but means, Thanks but no thanks" and send the exact same letter to everyone. You are making it much too personal and reading into it a lot of things that simply aren't there.

I have no idea how you get age discrimination out of that. They are free to not hire you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back