1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Wanting to be emancipated.

Discussion in 'Emancipation Law' started by ashanti, Oct 23, 2016.

  1. ashanti

    ashanti Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    North Carolina
    I am 16 years old and my mother is 31. My mom had me while she was 15 about to turn 16. From a young age I had to take responsibility and learn to do things for myself. At 7 years old I was picking out my own school clothes, ironing them, washing myself & cleaning the house. At 8 I was cooking for me and my little brother who was 3 years old. We were always left home alone while she worked. For my whole life she's been a single mother working a crappy job. I've never had money to do what I want or to even eat. There is never any food in the house. The refrigerator is empty. The cabinets are full of expired food. It's been this way since I was 10. I'm not sure what happened to make it this way, but whatever it was really hurt us. My mom recently got a new boyfriend. He cheats on her, mentally and verbally abuses her, and uses her. When he's here it's like she doesn't even know she has kids. Numerous nights I've woken up with him standing over me in my room. Or Ive walked in while he was in my room. That has made me extremely uncomfortable. I took my own money and u bought a $30 lock and key for my room door just because I can't sleep without it. I don't have any mental health problems. I never have. Im a straight A student. And I didn't start feeling this way until he moved in. A few months after I turned 15 I started filling out applications for any place that would hire 15 year olds. I turned in at least 50 applications. And I ended up getting a job at Mc Donald's. I've been working at Mc Donald's for a year now. And I've gotten a .70 cent raise throughout the year. I'm paid as a crew trainer. And I work 40 hours a week. My checks are usually 900 + I can ride my bike to work it's up the street from my house. And I ride the bus to school. If I'm emancipated I'll live with my grandmother or one of my uncles. (I have 2). I could also live with my boyfriend. But I'm not only doing this to live with him. I'm doing this because I can't live in this house anymore and be accused of lying when I tell her that her boyfriend walked in my room in the middle of the night. I don't wanna spend my life in my own house being uncomfortable and feeling uneasy. I feel as if me being emancipated would take a load off of her shoulders. That's one less person she would have to worry about or sort of take care of.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Ashanti, you're doing great things in life, keep it up.
    For you, emancipation won't happen, ever.
    Very few minors get emancipated, and its a long process.

    However, your purchasing and installing that lock, genius.

    So, here's what you can do.
    Talk to your grandmother.
    Tell her everything.
    God willing, she'll know what to do to help you.
    You can also talk to a trusted teacher, counselor, or school administrator.
    You desperately need help.
    Because sooner or later, that live in thug and pedo perv is going to break that lock.
    I hope and pray, for your sake and everything that is good in this world, that he never harms you.
    But, you're a smart kid, and that's why you put in that lock.
    Take a picture of the lock.
    Show it to your grandmother.
    Tell her everything, TODAY.
    You've been on my mind, and I don't want anything BAD to happen to you.

    Please do this TODAY, and come back and tell me how things worked out.

    If it turned out poorly, I can make a few calls and try to get you help.
    I want you to do it, because you are a strong, smart kid.
    I also want you to see if your grandmother and uncles can help your siblings.
    For the moment, forget that boyfriend, please.
    You, young lady, are in a very perilous predicament, a ticking time bomb.
    I don't want to see you get hurt.

    Let us know how things turned out, and keep doing that great stuff.
  3. cbg

    cbg Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Your odds of emancipation are slim to none, quite frankly, and the second you mentioned living with your boyfriend the judge would deny your petition so fast your shoes would be smoking on the way out the door.

    Would your grandmother talk to your mother and offer to have you live with her?
  4. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Tell someone at school about your mom's boyfriend. The school has to report any suspected abuse.

    You won't get emancipated. Sorry. Read up on the emancipation law. You're doing more than most twice your age though.
  5. txls

    txls Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If your mother gives her permission for you to live with Grandmother that would be the easiest solution.
  6. shrinkmaster

    shrinkmaster Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

Share This Page