Wanting to adopt my miece

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I've had full custody of my niece going on 4 years. The last year(August 2018) mother was released from prison and we attempted to reunify but she once again relapsed on drugs so we are done trying to go back and forth. She hasn't done anything financially to help. She's unsafe and unstable. The father has never put in effort and he's been in prison most of this time. What steps do I take to get to the adoption process? Do I need to file to have their right ms permanently closed or do I get a lawyer and go ahead with trying to adopt?

I've had full custody of my niece going on 4 years.

Full custody? By court order or by agreement with the parent?

What steps do I take to get to the adoption process? Do I need to file to have their right ms permanently closed or do I get a lawyer and go ahead with trying to adopt?

You're going to need a lawyer anyway, so you might as well ask those questions of the lawyer.

I think you may have some difficulty adopting because the bar is set pretty darn low for parenthood.

Unless your custody is by court order, the mother can just demand the child back and you would have to choice.

Full custody? By court order or by agreement with the parent?

It is by court order. I've had court ordered full custody since 2016.

You're going to need a lawyer anyway, so you might as well ask those questions of the lawyer.

I think you may have some difficulty adopting because the bar is set pretty darn low for parenthood.

Unless your custody is by court order, the mother can just demand the child back and you would have to choice.

I've had full custody of my niece going on 4 years. The last year(August 2018) mother was released from prison and we attempted to reunify but she once again relapsed on drugs so we are done trying to go back and forth. She hasn't done anything financially to help. She's unsafe and unstable. The father has never put in effort and he's been in prison most of this time. What steps do I take to get to the adoption process? Do I need to file to have their right ms permanently closed or do I get a lawyer and go ahead with trying to adopt?

Do you have legal custody or it's something the mom agreed to? You definitely need a lawyer for adoption - that is not a DIY task. Some do free consultations so I would start there when searching. Usually a free 30 minutes.

Do you have legal custody or it's something the mom agreed to? You definitely need a lawyer for adoption - that is not a DIY task. Some do free consultations so I would start there when searching. Usually a free 30 minutes.

I have legal custody through the courts. I will definitely call around for a lawyer. I appreciate your time. Thank you

Back