1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to adopt my miece

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by Tabatha Constable, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Tabatha Constable

Tabatha Constable Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ohio
    I’ve had full custody of my niece going on 4 years. The last year(August 2018) mother was released from prison and we attempted to reunify but she once again relapsed on drugs so we are done trying to go back and forth. She hasn’t done anything financially to help. She’s unsafe and unstable. The father has never put in effort and he’s been in prison most of this time. What steps do I take to get to the adoption process? Do I need to file to have their right ms permanently closed or do I get a lawyer and go ahead with trying to adopt?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Full custody? By court order or by agreement with the parent?

You're going to need a lawyer anyway, so you might as well ask those questions of the lawyer.

I think you may have some difficulty adopting because the bar is set pretty darn low for parenthood.

Unless your custody is by court order, the mother can just demand the child back and you would have to choice.

Tabatha Constable likes this.
  3. Tabatha Constable

4. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Legal guardianship is probably what you should be looking at. Adoption won't happen unless mom is agreeable.

hrforme and Tabatha Constable like this.
  5. leslie82

leslie82 Well-Known Member

Do you have legal custody or it's something the mom agreed to? You definitely need a lawyer for adoption - that is not a DIY task. Some do free consultations so I would start there when searching. Usually a free 30 minutes.

6. Tabatha Constable

I have legal custody through the courts. I will definitely call around for a lawyer. I appreciate your time. Thank you