Wal-Mart keeps haunting me

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJoe83

On March 24 I was fired because they said I had stolen money from my register on Feb. 17. They let me work my full shift on March 24 then called me to the office 15 minutes before time for me to clock out, and told me I was fired for stealing money. I asked them to see the video and they said they couldn't show it to me, so I asked how much it was and the said they couldnt tell me. I wrote a statement saying what MAY HAVE happened to the money. The pants I wore to work did not have pockets, they said iI took the money out of my register marked it with a marking pen and then stuck it in my pocket. I told them if I had taken the money out it was for a customer or CSM, they said there was no customer and no CSM. The only ways to get into the register is with a customer or CSM. The register is locked and i had no way of getting into it with out one of those two.

I was not aware of my register being short and walmart has "audit alerts" that's when your drawer comes up short you and a CSM or Manager sign a paper making you aware of the mistake. I hadn't received any of those. I filed for unemployment and they appealed, so i appealed their appeal. Then it went to a referee who then listen to both cases. I ended up winning cause Walmart still couldn't produce the video or any other proof. I got a job on November 28, 2009 but was fired within two days because of the Walmart incident. Is there anything I can do against Walmart? I know I can't get unemployment if there was theft involved in my firing. I also know that theft isn't taking so lightly but cops or charges have never been involved. I just want to know if I have any options to get Walmart or whoever to take this off my record so I may get a job. Sorry if I typed too much I just wanted to make the sitaution clear to anyone that reads this.

There was nothing illegal about the termination from Wal-Mart. It was not a wrongful termination, even if they were mistaken.

Now, however, on to the current situation. What exactly happened? Did you start working before the new employer contacted Wal-Mart? What exactly did Wal-Mart tell them? If they said you were fired for suspicion of theft, they were not lying and you have no case against them. If they said you were fired because you stole (and they can prove it-truth is the ultimate defense), then it's possible you might have a slander/defamation case against Wal-Mart. But do you know how much that would cost you and how long it would take? Try tens of thousands of dollars and years.

I don't know if your state is one that requires an employer to allow employees to enter rebuttal statements into their personnel file. However, there is nothing you can do to get them to "take it off your record" because there just isn't a law supporting that.

I don't know if your state is one that requires an employer to allow employees to enter rebuttal statements into their personnel file.

It is not. That doesn't mean they won't allow it; just that the law will not compel them to allow it. It can't hurt to ask.

If Wal-mart is passing bogus references with out evidence to back it up you may have a case against them. Contact an employment attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back