volunteer organizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am a high ranking member of a volunteer organization. My fiance is also a member of the same organization. Currently the president of the organization is spreading rumors regarding my fiance. He is stating she is sleeping with members of other near by volunteer organizations, with no actual proof. As well as, trying to use her voicing her opinions as another reason for a case against her. The goal of him is to have the members of the organization remove her from it. Mind you, it is election season for this organization, in which the President doesn't particularly care for me being in my current high ranking position. Just seems like there is some things here that just aren't right.

Yeah, umm, no one cares.

Gossip has been around before Cain killed Abel.

The best advice you can receive, ignore the gossip, you're a HIGH RANKING MEMBER of a VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATION, remember.

Last edited:
I am a high ranking member of a volunteer organization. My fiance is also a member of the same organization. Currently the president of the organization is spreading rumors regarding my fiance. He is stating she is sleeping with members of other near by volunteer organizations, with no actual proof. As well as, trying to use her voicing her opinions as another reason for a case against her. The goal of him is to have the members of the organization remove her from it. Mind you, it is election season for this organization, in which the President doesn't particularly care for me being in my current high ranking position. Just seems like there is some things here that just aren't right.

(I'll take an educated guess here ;) )

Delaware does recognize defamation per se, in which the person is assumed to have been damaged by the statement/s whether or not they've lost anything tangible.

The problem is, defamation suits are inherently costly - for the average Sally Smith, prohibitively so. Think a few years and a good $30k in cost. Attorneys won't take these cases on contingency unless there is more or less a guarantee of a win AND the damages will be collectible.

What she might want to do though is have an attorney draw up a "cease and desist" letter. While not legally binding, they're often enough to make the defamer quit doing what s/he is doing.

The other risk involved is...well, she's likely going to find herself no longer volunteering for that organization, and all the damages in the world won't change what's already been said and won't convince anyone to believe her side of the story.

Sometimes blowing it off with a wry grin and a good old rolling of the eyes can carry her message much further than actual legal action. Think about it. If she sues, many people will think "Ah! She protesteth too much! There's obviously some truth there!", whereas "Oh jeez, are they still making up that stuff? Some people's kids, I tell ya!" tends to convey that it's all nonsense.

Also, if she were to sue, virtually every single piece of dirty laundry becomes public fodder. She probably won't want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back