visitation/child support question

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflykisses

hey, i live in SC and i recently started dating this guy. Well he has a daughter that's almost 2 years old, but he doesn't have visitation, he said because his name isn't on the birth certificate, but then he's being ordered to pay child support, and there hasn't been a paternity test done either. this just didn't add up to me, if his name isn't on the birth certificate and there's been no paternity test, can they still get him for child support? if they can, how? and don't get me wrong, i'm all for the parents paying child support, it just didn't make sense to me, and i'm trying to figure out if he's telling me the truth or what?. :confused:

Actually, the child support can be ordered without proof of paternity if he was served notice of a child support hearing and failed to show.

Another option is that he attended the hearing, and did not contest paternity. If he hasn't filed for visitation, then he doesn't get any. It's not too late to get visitation if he wants it.

i got a couple more details. he said that if you are living with the childs mom for 6 months or whatever that you don't have to pay child support. but then when they went to court she lied and said that he'd been moving in and out. and she also cheated on him which is another reason he needs the paternity test, does anyone know how that works, does he have to pay for it? and about how much? i mean he's doing is best right now to get the money for child support, even though he's still behind, but at least he's trying, i know he doesn't wanna go to jail or anything, i think he just wants to know for sure if the child is his and i kno he'd want visitation (not sure what the issue is with that, it upsets him to talk about it alot, so i try not to push the subject). also, do yall have any advice for me? as to how to be a good girlfriend through all of this? i mean our relationship is pretty new, and i'm still getting used to the idea that he might have a daughter, which i mean is fine, kind of odd because i never pictured getting into a relationship like this, but i've fallen for him...hard. and what's the best thing i can do to be there for him, but not get in the way? i don't wanna create any extra drama through this.

If you want to avoid the drama, then stop asking him about it. It sounds like he really doesn't want to do anything.

If he wants to contest the child support or paternity, he can call the CSE office and inquire about it. You really shouldn't get involved other than supporting him emotionally.

He should talk to an attorney to see if he can legally dispute paternity, but it may be too late. If it is he might as well file for visitation and devellop a relationship with his child.

hey, i live in SC and i recently started dating this guy. Well he has a daughter that's almost 2 years old, but he doesn't have visitation, he said because his name isn't on the birth certificate, but then he's being ordered to pay child support, and there hasn't been a paternity test done either. this just didn't add up to me, if his name isn't on the birth certificate and there's been no paternity test, can they still get him for child support? if they can, how? and don't get me wrong, i'm all for the parents paying child support, it just didn't make sense to me, and i'm trying to figure out if he's telling me the truth or what?. :confused:
Hello:

There appears to be a wrinkle in his story. If his name is not on the birth certificate, and there is no paternaty (SP) test involved, some other legal means may have intervened. I agree with Irish223 in some ways. However, it seems you want answers before you delve too deeply into your relationship with him. The truth will eventually come to the surface.

Peace,

famous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back