Virgil, quick, come see. There goes the Robert E. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question is will they rename Washington & Lee University?

I mean they can't let that continue on either. Gosh I hate cancel culture.

The real question is will they rename Washington & Lee University?

I mean they can't let that continue on either. Gosh I hate cancel culture.

What about the District of Columbia, the state sitting in the NW corner of the lower 48, all those municipalalities and counties named Jefferson, the county in Florida named Lee, the cities named Jackson, the counties too?

Someone has lots of cleansing, disinfecting, purifying, and delousing YET to do!!!

I almost forgot the biggest change that must be done.

That darn Dixie flag (actually the battle flag of the army of Northern VA) and the most evil of them all, the stars and stripes; which permitted, allowed, and sustained BOTH slavery, reconstruction, and it's evil sibling, Big Jim Crow.

That damned stars and stripes even permitted compromise by allowing both slave and neutral territories/states to join the evil, deceitful, conspiratorial union.

There's enough shame, embarrassment, and collusion yet to be smeared on the guilty.

What about the District of Columbia, the state sitting in the NW corner of the lower 48,

NW corner? Has it been moved since the last time I looked. I thought it was on the East coast, somewhere in the vicinity of Maryland.

:oops:

all those municipalalities and counties named Jefferson, the county in Florida named Lee, the cities named Jackson, the counties too?

The names don't have to be changed, just attribute them to different people.

Thomas Jefferson
Janet Jackson
Harper Lee

To name a few.

NW corner? Has it been moved since the last time I looked. I thought it was on the East coast, somewhere in the vicinity of Maryland.

:oops:

The names don't have to be changed, just attribute them to different people.

Thomas Jefferson
Janet Jackson
Harper Lee

To name a few.

Jefferson and even Lincoln both had interesting writings on African Americans. As a matte of fact, what they wrote is much worst than anything Lee every said.

The TRUTH.

What about the District of Columbia, the state sitting in the NW corner of the lower 48, all those municipalalities and counties named Jefferson, the county in Florida named Lee, the cities named Jackson, the counties too?

Not all our historical figures are loathsome enough to justify taking down statues and renaming institutions. But I say the leaders of the Confederacy by and large justify that treatment. We need not venerate those who fought to uphold slavery and were traitors to the Union.

Not all our historical figures are loathsome enough to justify taking down statues and renaming institutions. But I say the leaders of the Confederacy by and large justify that treatment. We need not venerate those who fought to uphold slavery and were traitors to the Union.

You prove by every post you make your lack of knowledge in history and the facts.

Robert E Lee came from a family of war heroes. His father fought in the American Revolution. His uncles and other relatives signed the declaration of independence. His service in the Mexican war was admirable and he helped capture Mexico City. Again, hate to break the news to you that the war was NOT ONLY over SLAVERY. It was a component but not any more than a wheel on a car. Another main reason was the north held all the means of production and proceeded to tax southern goods and crops. Most rich slave owners where in the North, not so much in the South so your BS is just what it is BS.

It is sad that people do not read the actual books from the time period to gain a true understanding of what it was like back then. There obviously is no changing your mind as to the MAIN CAUSE being Slavery. However, ingrained into your mind that is and was NOT the ONLY FACTOR.

You prove by every post you make your lack of knowledge in history and the facts.

I do know the facts. Sure, Lee had war hero relatives. But we don't venerate people because of who their relatives are, do we? At least I don't. I focus on what that individual himself/herself did. And in my estimation, Robert E. Lee was a traitor to the Union and took up arms to uphold the institution of slavery. Those acts to me make him unworthy of statues or praise.

There obviously is no changing your mind as to the MAIN CAUSE being Slavery. However, ingrained into your mind that is and was NOT the ONLY FACTOR.

You're right, my mind won't be changed that it was the main cause of the war because I've read the writings of the Southerners who were most behind the war and over and over they themselves said that retaining slavery was central to their cause. Was it the ONLY beef they had with the North? No, it wasn't. But those others could have been resolved through the normal political process. Slavery was the deal breaker. You are apparently determined to see the South in a sympathetic light. I might guess you live in the South and want to believe it fought in a just cause, and thus are willing to down play the South's role in slavery. That's what I think is a shame.

Robert E Lee came from a family of war heroes. His father fought in the American Revolution. His uncles and other relatives signed the declaration of independence. His service in the Mexican war was admirable and he helped capture Mexico City. Again, hate to break the news to you that the war was NOT ONLY over SLAVERY. It was a component but not any more than a wheel on a car. Another main reason was the north held all the means of production and proceeded to tax southern goods and crops. Most rich slave owners where in the North, not so much in the South so your BS is just what it is BS.

It is sad that people do not read the actual books from the time period to gain a true understanding of what it was like back then. There obviously is no changing your mind as to the MAIN CAUSE being Slavery. However, ingrained into your mind that is and was NOT the ONLY FACTOR.
Regardless of his earlier acts, by definition, Robert E Lee was a traitor.

I might guess you live in the South and want to believe it fought in a just cause, and thus are willing to down play the South's role in slavery. That's what I think is a shame.

and you down play the North's own aggression. How many African Americans live in Vermont? How many in New Hampshire? You want to call the south a bunch of racists, where did the slave ships land? Look at the population maps then and over lay them with now and you will find they didn't leave the areas in which they landed.

If you care so much maybe you should spearhead a reparation program whereby disparaged/ mistreated (according to you) African Americans can all be relocated to your Northern States. Maybe even the South could fund the project. Since you are bound and determined that the South is/ was and always will be based upon a Slave past and the North is the great emancipator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back