violation of privacy by hotel owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cochmiqui

Is it legal for the owner of a hotel to enter the unit/room we paid for an hour before checkout without us knowing, & without our permission? The owner walked in on my wife & I as we were coming out of the shower. I was able to slip my pants on just enough to conceal my privates. My fiance, on the other hand was a whole different story. She was completely nude, trusting our privacy would be respected. Therefore, I truly feel our privacy was violated, & a crime was committed against us. It feels as if we were harassed by a sexual predator.

I always place the DO NOT DISTURB placard on my door.

When I'm in the room, I always double lock it, and use the privacy lock or chain.

Had you enabled those protections, he couldn't have breached your perimeter.

I'm sure he will say it was an unfortunate misunderstanding for which he has begged your indulgence.

Why did he come in? I agree with army judge - you need to take some responsibility yourself to protect your privacy.

Is it legal for the owner of a hotel to enter the unit/room we paid for an hour before checkout without us knowing, & without our permission? The owner walked in on my wife & I as we were coming out of the shower. I was able to slip my pants on just enough to conceal my privates. My fiance, on the other hand was a whole different story. She was completely nude, trusting our privacy would be respected. Therefore, I truly feel our privacy was violated, & a crime was committed against us. It feels as if we were harassed by a sexual predator.

WHY did the "owner" come into the room?

I have found that at many hotels housekeeping might come into the room before checkout if, after they knock and announce themselves, they receive no answer. Yes, there are sometimes nearly embarrassing moments - and this is why I either put the sign on the door, or use the deadbolt.

You can get the idea of this being a crime out of your head. The police are not going to look at this as a crime unless the owner went inside to get his jollies, or to commit theft, or to do something untoward and not ostensibly in the course of his duty. As such, if you feel there are damages, you can certainly complain, make a claim for damages, and sue in civil court ... though, that'll be tough, I suspect.

In the morning hotels print a check out list. It is reasonable to assume the guest checked out if they are on that list. Before entering, I am sure he knocked and you did not hear him because of the water. Now you know what the deadbolt is for. Use it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back