Copyright Video

Bridgewater

If someone watches one of my videos, then makes their own video with the exact same message, just changed the words and animation, is that copyright infringement?

Was your video copyrighted?

If not and you had it in public domain it could be fair game.

What steps have you taken to protect your work?

If someone watches one of my videos, then makes their own video with the exact same message, just changed the words and animation, is that copyright infringement?

Impossible to say in the abstract. You say that the two videos have "the exact same message," but that really tells us nothing. Lots of books and movies and TV shows have similar "messages" but aren't infringing.

Was your video copyrighted?

The word "copyright" is not properly used as a verb, so this question has no meaning. "Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with [Title 17 of the United States Code], in original works of authorship [including audiovisual works] fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device." 17 U.S.C. section 102(a). In other words, the OP's video was protected by copyright from the moment it was created.

If not and you had it in public domain it could be fair game.

"Public domain" refers to works not protected by copyright, which would be impossible to do accidentally.

This attorney discusses "who owns my YouTube video":

Ask the Attorney: Videos & YouTube: Who Owns Them?

If possible, describe the video (in as few words as possible), where you posted the video, and if the video was your original work exclusively.

What is your goal with these videoes?

The word "copyright" is not properly used as a verb...

Yet I did it anyway. The nerve I have, huh?
You'll have to take that issue up with Mr. Webster.

"Public domain" refers to works not protected by copyright, which would be impossible to do accidentally.

Public domain also refers to location. Yes, a person could inadvertently release private work into public domain.

These forums really do not need a grammar cop.

Back