Video and Photos taken of marching band - against law to post online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandMom

We just got a new director in our band program. He told me that I can no longer take video and photos at public events and post them on my facebook and youtube. I have done this for the past directors for 3 years already. My videos have been used for critiquing and used for training tools. Photos have been used for the band website and also for end of year slide shows at band banquet.
His reasoning behind this is that he says I do not have parental consent to take or post any of those. I beg to differ with him on this because parents on the first day of school sign a paper for the district saying that their child may be video-ed or photographed at public events being held by the school. This has always been to my understanding from past directors my permission to tape half time show and take photos during the games.

Am I with in my right to continue to video and photograph on my own and still post them for the students who use those videos and photos for their self improvement?

I have also looked up about public videos and photographs and have found nothing to state that he is correct in what he is saying.

Thanks for any advice you have in advance.

One he is not my supervisor, he is my daughters band director and I am a parent videoing their child at a public event. Seconding the videos are posted online to youtube for the use of the students getting the watch the show and also for out of town or out of state relatives to watch so they stay involved in their younger relatives activities. IE...Grandma living in another state getting to watch marching show and seeing her grand daughter, whereas would not be able too because she was not at game. I am a private citizen, I do not have anything to do with band program other than my daughter being in it ... IE a Pround Band Mom...

There is nothing illegal or wrong with this, and it is not the band director's place to determine whether or not you can record. Such a decision would come from the school principal or an administrator.
If it is an event in a public place there is no restriction. If it is an event on school grounds and someone with appropriate authority insists you stop recording then you should stop. That isn't likely to happen. If you have to put away your camera so will everyone else- including cell phone cameras. It just wont happen.
Ignore the director and continue to do as you wish.

Last edited:
I agree but I still am wondering if you monetized the youtube videos? I asked because it possible the issue is you have or could make money off videos

I have never received money for any videos, they have always been posted for public view. Same with the photos, if anything they have only been used to promote the band program in recruiting incoming freshmen.

Youtube has an option to "monetize" your videos where ads appear on them. You get paid per clicks on these ads. i asked as I thought that might be objection that you were making money off videos

Nope have never done that to any of my videos. Like I said they are mostly posted for the students to watch and send to their relative and for my own relatives to watch as well. The past directors did use them as a teaching tool, as they were also on the field during the show, so they would watch them to get a Birds Eye View of the show and see where improvements could be made.

If I were you, I'd discuss the conversation you had (and the admonishment received) with teh band director with the school principal.

I don't think you're violating any law, but why not discuss your concern with the principal and/or the school superintendent or your board member?

In the end, I think you'll be told go away and record those memories.

One of life's many truisms, never argue with the hired help, when you can speak with the hired help's boss; who can make it all better with a few magic words!!!!

Ty all for your advice, I have called the district and they have told me that I am in no violation of their policies or any laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back