Victims Of Rumors - Safety Threatened

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarie67

I was recently informed by a, employee of a different department that her manager had brought a hand gun into one of their department meetings last week. Needless to say, I was terrified. She indicated she didn't actually see the gun, but that he grabbed what appeared to be the handle of a gun with one hand and with the other the nuzzle. It was clearly outlined through his coat. He also said as he was holding on that "Oops, didn't mean to bring that'.

What made it even more terrifying was that just the day before there was a "confrontation" of sorts between this manager and me, which immediately made me feel that I could end up a target if something happened.

Now, I know the ramification and reliability of office fodder and rumors, however, in this day and age I took even the slightest inclination of it being true very seriously. I refused to stay in the same building and was given authorization to leave early that day.

Before leaving I was informed by the HR manager that a a thorough investigation would take place and the HR Manager would contact me later that day. I received a call from both the HR Manager and the Vice President of our company wherein, both of them informed me that an investigation was conducted and they did not find any reason to believe anyone was in danger. I was told I could return to work on Tuesday if I wish.

Okay, here is what I need to know, even though being told there was an investigation, I want concrete and specific proof of the investigation findings. I need to be confident in feeling that I am out of any danger.

Some other disturing remarks by the employee were that the Manager of her department has been acting out of sorts for some time now, is paranoid and believes he is being squeezed out of the company due to some of his accounts being sold, comments about suicide in front of his team, strange behavior, and unprofessional practices (including the matter at the heart of my issue with him).

Do I have any recourse? Can I insist on seeing and/or being told the specific details that led to their findings? Please help.

In today's day and age one cannot be too careful or cautious.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Jmarie67

Sorry, but no. They have no legal obligation to even give you the results of their investigation, let alone to give you the specific details that led to their decision.

If you've been told that you can return to work, I suggest you do so as you can be fired for refusing.

Victims of Rumors

Sorry, but no. They have no legal obligation to even give you the results of their investigation, let alone to give you the specific details that led to their decision.

If you've been told that you can return to work, I suggest you do so as you can be fired for refusing.

Thank you for your response. So, in other words, when this man brings his gun in and harms himself or others, it's perfectly fine because they said so?

I went yesterday, and sat in fear of this man. I believe what his employee(s) said. If it were just the one, maybe I'd have some skeptisism, but 3 of them, no. He mentioned while holding what appeared to clearly be a gun and said this isn't my weapon of choice, I prefer knives!

So, you're telling me there is nothing that can be done to ensure my safety and the safety of others. This man is clearly unstable.

You are completely misquoting what I said. I did not say that there is nothing that can be done to ensure your safety; I said that the employer is not required by law to show you the results of their investigation or tell you what action they took. No one said that it was okay for him to bring his gun to work but the employer is NOT required under any law to give you the specific details of their investigation.

I'm not meaning to misquote you, I thank you for taking your time, truly. I hope you understand my trepidation and fear. I am fearful of returning to my place of employment now, the only source of income for my children and me.

So you're saying I can ask but they do not have to tell? Is that correct?

Thank you again.

Joan

If you are that afraid of this manager, you can always seek a transfer to a different division if possible, take a leave of absence if possible, or find a new job. You could also seek a restraining order against him, but that's not likely to pass muster without there being some proof of a threat.

If I were that afraid to go to work because of someone there, I'd probably find another job. You just don't have a whole lot of options here.

- Carl

So you're saying I can ask but they do not have to tell? Is that correct?

NOW you've got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back