Victim Of Collision Center Fraud. Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentbob97

Jurisdiction
California
I just got my car back from a Collision Center in the Los Angeles Area and the paintwork looks terrible! There are runs and dirt trapped in the paint, over spray everywhere, the parts of the car he charged me to remove were just taped off instead. He also painted my fender without my knowledge. So he charged me for labor he didn't do and painted my fender as "a favor!" Also after reviewing the estimate he charged me twice for masking the car and also to blend the door hinges which didn't need to be done. The total ended up being over $1,700 out of my pocket.

When I picked up my car it was raining and he left my car outside so with the paint wet, it was impossible to spot these issues. He then expected me to pay cash and then said if I wanted to pay with a credit cad, there was a 3% fee that I had to pay. He also never gave me a copy of my invoice. The only thing he gave me writing was the "preliminary estimate" when I dropped off the car.

I have requested a copy of the invoice several times via email but no response. I believe this shady guy never even created an invoice! I think he just pocketed my entire payment! My credit card was processed through a company called square up and there is no notes on what the amount is for.

What should I do now? Report him to the California B.A.R.? Take him to small claims court? Do I need this invoice for my case?

Emails can be ignored or missed - send him something in actual writing. Maybe even go back to the shop in person and point out the problems.

Yeah you have a 3000GT, that was water based paints back then. I am sure it would probably run no matter what and not match. Probably need to get the whole car painted.

Thanks for the replies. I already took the car back to the shop twice. The first time I only noticed that the tape holding the door cap on was painted white. He said that he didn't want to break the trim piece when removing it. So instead he painted my fender as a favor. He then removed the large spots of over spray with rubbing compound. I was willing to live with that. Then a couple weeks later, I had the car on the lift for an oil change and that's when I spotted all the runs and dirt trapped in the paint. (It's hard to spot flaws in white paint). So after the oil change I went back again but he was leaving as I pulled in. He said he will be back in a half hour but never came back so I left.

I wouldn't trust him to try and fix it anyway. I could get the car back worse than it already is. What really bothers me is the fact that he overcharged me in the estimate, charged me labor to remove parts he didn't remove, and painted my fender without my knowledge. And he didn't even give me an invoice when I left!

Emails can be ignored or missed - send him something in actual writing. Maybe even go back to the shop in person and point out the problems.

I'm sure he didn't miss it. He responded but only sent the "pick up form" saying that they aren't responsible for anything after I leave the shop. No Invoice.

Since you paid by credit card you can try disputing the charge before suing. It's been a few weeks so start the process ASAP. Make sure to get good pictures of all of the flaws in the paint and have all of your attempts to contact the vendor with no response documented.

Square is just a merchant processor used by many small businesses to run credit cards.

Since you paid by credit card you can try disputing the charge before suing. It's been a few weeks so start the process ASAP. Make sure to get good pictures of all of the flaws in the paint and have all of your attempts to contact the vendor with no response documented.

Square is just a merchant processor used by many small businesses to run credit cards.
Will do! Thank you!

What about this form he made me sign when I picked up my car? Again he left my car out in the rain when I picked it up so I wouldn't see any of the flaws in the paint.

What about this form he made me sign when I picked up my car? Again he left my car out in the rain when I picked it up so I wouldn't see any of the flaws in the paint.

You shouldn't sue.. Doesn't matter if he left the car out in the rain. You're the one that signed and agreed that everything on the car was in perfect condition. Good luck

... he left my car out in the rain when I picked it up so I wouldn't see any of the flaws in the paint.
Or, perhaps, he left the car outside so it wasn't in the way and would be more convenient for the customer. You have no way to prove what his thought process was.

Low ball!? This was the highest estimate I got by over $100. I could have gotten the same thing at Maaco for $399.

Then you should have gone to Maaco. But you didn't just get a paint job.

If you are a savvy consumer you do your due diligence about what you buy. You don't just pick names out of a phonebook (or off the internet) because you don't know what a company's reputation is. So if you get 5 estimates from 5 shoddy auto body repair business you end up with 5 bad choices.

The last time I had any business with auto body repair was back in 2012 when I backed up my Chevy Silverado into a parked forklift. I was barely moving but that right hand side mirror (the one that says things are closer than they look) made me think I still had some room. The right rear bumper just touched the weight of the forklift. It was enough to spring the bumper back into the quarter panel and damage it. It also did some damage to the bottom corner of the tailgate so that the gate could not be opened without causing further damage.

I drove to my dealership when I left the lumberyard (without the load) and asked who fixes their vehicles if damaged in delivery. They gave me the name and location and told me they are not cheap but they are the best auto body business around. A 25 mile drive and I got the estimate. $2,176.00

I though it was high for what looked like to me minor damage. I got the truck back in 5 days and it was perfect like it never happened. The damage to the quarter panel and the tailgate were straightened out (no body fill) and repainted and one bumper mounting bracket replaced.

Moral of the story: You do get what you pay for. You want the best work then you pay for it.

Then you should have gone to Maaco. But you didn't just get a paint job.

If you are a savvy consumer you do your due diligence about what you buy. You don't just pick names out of a phonebook (or off the internet) because you don't know what a company's reputation is. So if you get 5 estimates from 5 shoddy auto body repair business you end up with 5 bad choices.

The last time I had any business with auto body repair was back in 2012 when I backed up my Chevy Silverado into a parked forklift. I was barely moving but that right hand side mirror (the one that says things are closer than they look) made me think I still had some room. The right rear bumper just touched the weight of the forklift. It was enough to spring the bumper back into the quarter panel and damage it. It also did some damage to the bottom corner of the tailgate so that the gate could not be opened without causing further damage.

I drove to my dealership when I left the lumberyard (without the load) and asked who fixes their vehicles if damaged in delivery. They gave me the name and location and told me they are not cheap but they are the best auto body business around. A 25 mile drive and I got the estimate. $2,176.00

I though it was high for what looked like to me minor damage. I got the truck back in 5 days and it was perfect like it never happened. The damage to the quarter panel and the tailgate were straightened out (no body fill) and repainted and one bumper mounting bracket replaced.

Moral of the story: You do get what you pay for. You want the best work then you pay for it.

Lol it sounds like you got ripped off worse than I did. And I did not pick this shop out of a hat. They are rated 5 stars with 56 reviews on yelp and also 5 stars on google. They are also registered with the California Bar association. They are one of only a handful of highly reviewed shops in LA that don't even have 1, 1 star review.

You shouldn't sue.. Doesn't matter if he left the car out in the rain. You're the one that signed and agreed that everything on the car was in perfect condition. Good luck

I believe that if he is unable to provide me with my invoice, (which he still hasn't) then I can definitely sue.

I believe that if he is unable to provide me with my invoice, (which he still hasn't) then I can definitely sue.

Good for you, bub.

This thread has died.

Closed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back