Verbal threat of violence at my door

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdamarco

I need some advice as I am not sure what to do from here. I live in a duplex in town on a public street. There is public street parking. The person in the other duplex approached me at my door a week ago rather directly, yelling at me about how I should have moved over more when I parked on the street(could not really be helped because the neighbors just park wherever and it often leaves spaces too small for him to park between). So I bent over backwards and parked at a nearby parking lot and walked home for 4 straight days. In this time frame he parked in the exact same spot as I did. At this point I resumed parking in front of the house, today I parked about 2 feet off a friendly neighbor's bumper when I came home, he later left and the person in the other duplex showed up and took this other neighbor's spot. He then knocked on my door and proceeded to yell loudly at me about how I had somehow intentionally forced him to park there(there was plenty of room behind my car at that point in time, but I guess this did not phase him when I pointed this out).

He then proceeded to yell some more. I never incited anything, I never made any threat, I continued to use logic, pointing out how I had moved as he had told me and the obvious fact that it was public parking anyway and that I was already going above and beyond by moving my car to accomodate him. At this point he began saying such things as "I'm going to pop you in the face" "If you don't shut the f*#$ up I am going to smash your face"(I am standing in my own apartment answering my door at this point) and "I am going to f$%^ you over every chance I get from now on". He also attempted to goad me into a fight several times with hand gestures: "we can settle this right now" "bring it on" etc. Again, I never incited any of this, I never used any fighting words, I backed out of every attempt because I am apparently more mature than this. I replied to all this simply with we can take this up with the landlord if you wish. I told him repeatedly to leave. He had a group of his buddies with him, a couple of them repeatedly told him "let's just go".

He has been a bit of a menace since he moved in, parties at inappropriate days of the week, excessive noise, getting woken up at 2am on a monday to the sound of his friends throwing up outside my room. I know he is involved in drugs and he is extremely lazy with his lease responsibilities like doing the lawn etc but the landlord doesn't seem to care about anything. I have a busy and stressful job and have tolerated all of this long enough and I feel physical threats over an issue he himself is partly responsible for crosses the line. I cooled down and wrote on a piece of paper what he did, the date and time and his name etc. Should I go to the police station or wait until I am confronted again and he follows through on his threat to attack me over his god given right to public parking that I am violating by using the public parking myself?

No one can control another adult.

You don't have to answer your door.

If uninvited people appear, causing a disturbance on your porch, call "911".

The police will gladly keep the peace.

On the other hand, don't you try it.

If a dispute develops between you and another adult, walk away, don't try to be a hero or dictate what the other party should do.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

If you believe a crime is being committed, call "911" and report the matter to the police or sheriff.

Their job, among other things is to keep the peace.

If the police can't do anything, your best bet is avoid the offending party.

Whatever you do, don't try self help.

Don't be a hero, or the neighborhood police.

If all else fails, your choice is possibly to move, or develop THICKER skin.

I'm no "scaredy" or "fraidy" cat, but I've learned to ignore obnoxious behavior and boorish people.

Last edited:
Ditto that.

If you are truly afraid for your safety based upon what was said, then contact the police. It may not rise to the level of a crime in your state, or at least not a crime they can or will choose to act upon after the fact.

In the future, don't engage the knucklehead. Contact the police when he's ranting at your door and keep the door shut. Let THEM deal with him.

Excellent advice. One idea though, if he returns and escalates it with more threats, is it legal for me to audio record what he says without him knowing so I can use it as evidence for the cops? Just a thought, because I know refusing to answer the door won't help when I step outside to go to my car or do the lawn.

Excellent advice. One idea though, if he returns and escalates it with more threats, is it legal for me to audio record what he says without him knowing so I can use it as evidence for the cops? Just a thought, because I know refusing to answer the door won't help when I step outside to go to my car or do the lawn.

Recording is a form of self help. I'd advise against doing it. It wouldn't be useful to a prosecutor anyway.

You could equip your home and doorway with surveillance cameras.
They do wonders for gas stations, retail outlets, public buildings, etc...

I had problems with a neighbor harassing me, throwing litter & trash into my yard and on my roof. Then two weeks ago I purchased a Wi-Fi camera, DropCam, and recorded his actions. Long story short, cops warned him and he now knows he can be caught on camera anytime. His harassment has completely ended. I would advise you consider the same. A camera is easily hidden and records audio and video. Next time he comes you your door either 1. You refuse to speak to him until cops are present. or 2. Get at least one clip of him harassing and especially threatening you. Until that point, its your word against his. As in my example, people tend to behave A LOT better when they realize they could be on camera at any given moment. I know its sad that you have to spend a couple hundred dollars to make this stop, but if you "ignore" a bully as suggested earlier, they only tend to become more aggressive and troublesome.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back