Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Vandalism suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liana2906

Hello. My name is Liana and I'm 17 years old and living in Irvine, California.
So last year I argued with a friend, X(who lives in the same neighborhood as me) about politics and we've never talked since. So his car got vandalized about 5 times this month. Yesterday, a cop showed up at my door asking me about my whereabouts on Friday because X's car got vandalized again. I told him, with my mom present, that I went to school at 7, I came back from school at 3:30 and after that I was with my mom, because she works on Fridays from home and at about 7 I went with her to a ice cream place. He also said that he was asking me questions because X told him I was the only person X ever pissed off. Today another cop showed up asking the same questions, because X's car got vandalized again. I told him I spent the day studying and my mom was once again with me. How should I handle the situation? Should I be accompanied by someone at all times, just in case the cops will bother me again? Can they arrest me or something, just because X said I was the only person he ever pissed off? Should I hire a lawyer? I haven't done it, by the way. I am a straight A student taking 3 A.P. classes. I do not handle things this way.
By the way, I do not know much about U.S. laws, as I came to the U.S. from Europe about 4 years ago. I got my Green Card last year.
Oh, and if the cop shows up again and my mom isn't home, can I tell them that they should come back when my mom will be home? Will that be a bad thing or a good thing?(I am home a lone from 5 am to 6 pm Monday through Thursday).
The only reasons why I am spending so much time with my mom is because I have a lot to study(3 A.P. classes plus the rest of my courses, which I take at the harshest high school in Southern California) plus I am on lock down until I'm done with my SATs.
And plus, I'm not the partying type. I am a nerd.

Last edited:
You need to politely tell the police that you were not involved with damaging his car and that you no longer wish to comment without an attorney being present. He needs a lot more than, "She is the only one mad at me" to get an arrest. Stay away from him, and do not communicate with him in any way. Do not get within a mile of his car if you can help it. It will blow over. No one is going to arrest you.

No, you do no have to speak to the officers. No, you probably do not need an attorney just yet. No, it does not sound as if they have probable cause to make an arrest.

they are talking to you because the victim said you are the only one they can think of that has a grudge against the victim.

Though, I have to say that for a 17 year old you seem to spend an awful lot of time with mom. This is not typical. Even if it is suspicious, and even assuming the police don't necessarily buy the claim, it would not be enough to establish probable cause to make an arrest.

I'd say that you are in the clear for now.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back