Using pseudonyms on resumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkShoe

Jurisdiction
Texas
My question involves labor and employment law for the state of Texas. I have three questions specific to resumes and not applications:

1. Is it legal in the USA to use a pseudonym instead of a real name on a resume?

2. Can listing earned/legitimate degrees under the birth name associated with a pseudonym on a resume be considered resume fraud?

3. Can prospective employers conduct a background check from resumes without consent?

Thanks.

1. A resume is not a legal document. You can put anything you want on it.
2. There is no such thing as "resume fraud". Most people would just call it a lie. Employers tend to not hire people who lie about qualifications and experience.
3. Yes, background checks can be done without consent, although certain information would require your consent. It depends on how in depth the background check is.

If you want to get hired it makes no sense at all to use a pseudonym on the resume. It will eventually be found out and you will be in the awkward position of trying to explain yourself if you are even given the chance. If I had an applicant with a pseudonym on their resume I would not hire them for that reason alone- I would wonder what you are trying to hide and what trouble you are bringing with you.

1. A resume is not a legal document. You can put anything you want on it.
2. There is no such thing as "resume fraud". Most people would just call it a lie. Employers tend to not hire people who lie about qualifications and experience.
3. Yes, background checks can be done without consent, although certain information would require your consent. It depends on how in depth the background check is.

If you want to get hired it makes no sense at all to use a pseudonym on the resume. It will eventually be found out and you will be in the awkward position of trying to explain yourself if you are even given the chance. If I had an applicant with a pseudonym on their resume I would not hire them for that reason alone- I would wonder what you are trying to hide and what trouble you are bringing with you.
Thank you for your response. I have two additional questions:

1. Can a prospective employer run a background check on just a name or do they need additional information?

2. Can a prospective employer verify degrees earned even though the colleges confirmed that they do not volunteer any information without written consent?

1. Is it legal in the USA to use a pseudonym instead of a real name on a resume?

It PROBABLY isn't ILLEGAL, its just stupid or useless to apply as Roy Rogers, when your legal, government name is Hopalong Cassidy.

Can listing earned/legitimate degrees under the birth name associated with a pseudonym on a resume be considered resume fraud?

Again, if your desired outcome is to acquire a NEW job, let's just say this would frustrate your efforts.

Can prospective employers conduct a background check from resumes without consent?

Possibly, maybe, people can do many, many things far too numerous to mention.

However, if you've listed your name on the resume as Marilyn Monroe, but your government name is William Jefferson Clinton, I doubt the check would offer the checker much success.

Again, it wouldn't get YOU a new or better job, either!

Can a prospective employer run a background check on just a name or do they need additional information?

Again, people can do many amazing things, far beyond the ability of me to predict another person's capabilities.

Can a prospective employer verify degrees earned even though the colleges confirmed that they do not volunteer any information without written consent?

You'd be surprised what some employers can acquire, or what breadcrumbs you have scattered unknowingly all over the internet.

Again, never underestimate anyone's abilities.

Mark, with all due respect and without judgement, the purpose of these boards is to provide people with actual legal situations with information relevant to them. Most of the posters on any of these boards post on more than one. Not to put too fine a point on it, if these really are only hypothetical questions, then you are wasting our time (and yours). If there is an actual situation, then post it.

Mark, with all due respect and without judgement, the purpose of these boards is to provide people with actual legal situations with information relevant to them. Most of the posters on any of these boards post on more than one. Not to put too fine a point on it, if these really are only hypothetical questions, then you are wasting our time (and yours). If there is an actual situation, then post it.
Thank you for your response. The reason why I posted these questions under Hiring, Applications, and Background Checks was to seek legal answers which are definitely relevant to me. Honestly, I did not see or read anywhere on this site that the prerequisite for using this forum was based on actual legal situations. I may have overlooked this. If this isn't clearly stated, then perhaps it should be.

I may have overlooked this. If this isn't clearly stated, then perhaps it should be.

We have many solutions to us, that aren't posted.

Why?

Because MOST people have enough common sense to behave themselves.

Know this, no lawyer will tell anyone how to break or skirt our laws.

Why?

One, it violates our canon of ethics, and the various rules of the state bars or supreme courts which regulate our licenses.

I worked very hard to earn my law license, and have held them (yes, I have dozens, including the federal bar, and the Australian QC designation) for decades, and won't risk my licensure by doing unethical or illegal things.

This hypothetical thread is closed, please don't open another or similar thread.

Thank you.

The problem with hypotheticals is that they don't have a clear set of facts. Any variable detail can change the answer. That's why most boards prefer not to answer hypotheticals. There have been many, many situations where a poster added or changed what they thought was a meaningless detail, and it changed the entire answer.

We would be happy to answer the actual situation you are facing. However, giving us "hypothetical" questions may or may not actually provide you with an answer that is valid to the real circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back