Use of Signature Stamp

QuiltMom

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
What are my rights regarding the use of a stamp of my signature by my employer or another employee?

Background: A stamp of my signature was created 3-4 years ago when we went through an internal forms change and my assistant and I had HUNDREDS of documents that needed signed. They were internal documents that could be reviewed by a government body upon request and required the signature of an authorized party. The stamp was rarely used after that and I always knew when, for what, and where the stamp was.

Fast forward to this year, we've have several staffing changes including a new position over me and my assistant being replaced and then being promoted out of my department. When she was in the process of transitioning I asked for the stamp and was told it was missing. After she moved to her new office I asked again and was again told it was missing (she did not have a lot of stuff in her desk to "loose" it in). I asked the person who took her old desk to please keep an eye out as well as accounting since they could lock it up, no one ever found it. Suddenly it has turned up being used by the former assistant on state forms she should not be filling out in her role, let alone using my signature. The new boss is refusing to return the stamp to me. She won't give any reason why and denies the former assistant lied about it being lost (the former assistant has a history of lying to cover her mistakes or pass blame). The whole situation stinks and is making me very uneasy.

What are my rights regarding the use of a stamp of my signature by my employer or another employee?

I doubt you have any "rights" with respect to such a situation.

When she was in the process of transitioning I asked for the stamp and was told it was missing.

So...your statement that you "always knew . . . where the stamp was" was not true?

Feel free to inform your supervisor and/or the supervisor(s) of the other persons involved and/or the company's HR department and/or president that you are unhappy about the situation. Feel free to express your displeasure in writing.

We have no HR department and I've already voiced the issue in writing to the owner who previously was my boss. It boils down to - does an employer have the right to use your signature without your permission? Do I have the right to rescind use of a signature stamp and/or get the stamp back for destruction?

The stamp does not belong to you, it belongs to the employer.
The stamp is not an original signature so you always have deniability if any issue should come up.

does an employer have the right to use your signature without your permission?

A "right"? No.

Do I have the right to rescind use of a signature stamp and/or get the stamp back for destruction?

You can put something in writing saying that you "rescind" the authority to use the signature stamp. You do not have a right to get the stamp back or having it destroyed.

Here's the reality: Regardless of whether you purport to "rescind" the authority to use the signature stamp, your employer is going to do as it damn well pleases, and there's nothing you can do to stop it (short of stealing the stamp or engaging in illegal conduct). All you can do is deal with any fallout. It might be that nothing bad will happen. In fact that's more likely than not. If something bad happens, then you can figure out how to deal with it, but we can't anticipate ahead of time what might happen and how to deal with it.

does an employer have the right to use your signature without your permission?

No one has the AUTHORITY to sign your name without your express, written permission.
However, as you've recently observed, someone doesn't care.

Do I have the right to rescind use of a signature stamp and/or get the stamp back for destruction?

If you never gave permission, what's to rescind?

If you formerly gave written permission, or oral permission, YES; you can rescind said permission in writing.

It might be time for you to seek new employment where everyone is ethical.

The person employing you seems to be quite unethical.

The issue for you will be WHAT has your signature been affixed to WITHOUT your knowledge???
However, as you've recently observed, the owner is complicit with the actor, and no longer cares about protecting YOU.

Back