Unsafe environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedtx

Hi,
I had worked for a company but recently quit. When I first started for this company I was dealing with hazardous chemicals: toluene, benzene, dimethyl sulfide, dimethyl disulfide, methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercaptan, 1,3-Butadiene, Carbon Monoxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, Carbonyl Sulfide, Sulfur Dioxide and many more chemicals as pure chemical most above 98 and 99%. When I first started working, there were no good ventilation system in the blending lab. The fume hood at the time wasn't adequate enough to vent anything. I would most of the time breathe in these chemicals.
There were no health insurance for a good 1 year and 9 months.
I was sometimes working over 12 hours a day and also working on weekends. No overtime pay and no weekend pay.
I was getting paid 7.50/hr at first and then they changed me to 35,000 a year.
Then I got promoted to manager without any raise.

My boyfriend was also working there and was driving a box truck they had owned. They did not even have insurance on the box truck for him. He had driven it for over 8 hours.

During the first year they did not pay us in full for the 35,000 for me and the 20,800 for him. We had agreed that they can split it up the second year.

Now they are thinking about taking me to court for not giving them a password for a program I had written. I had posted another thread in hiring and firing about the password situation.

When we had quit they had pretty much told us that we agreed to these conditions because we knew about them. They also said this is an agreement between a employer and an employee and that we can't really do anything about it. They were pretty much saying that was the working conditions at the time because we knew they were first staring the company and it's only an agreement. We get paid only based on the agreement of the salary.

Now I am wondering what I can do. I had put my life in danger for 2 years and the company acts like they are grateful. If they were they wouldnt threaten to take me to court. Now I wonder what can I do about the company that put me in that environment.

Can they sue me?

Can they sue me for the password when the program still works? The password only hides the back information and calculation to make the program work. Does the program belong to them when I worked on it at home and brought it to work?
Can I sue them for the working conditions and overtime?

Can they also keep my last month pay if I did not give them the password yet, because they kept me and my boyfriend's last month pay. Can they use that to get the password or do I still have to get paid?

Can they sue me for the password when the program still works? The password only hides the back information and calculation to make the program work. Does the program belong to them when I worked on it at home and brought it to work?
Can I sue them for the working conditions and overtime?

Can they also keep my last month pay if I did not give them the password yet, because they kept me and my boyfriend's last month pay. Can they use that to get the password or do I still have to get paid?

If you developed the program for them and got paid for it, then you cannot deny them the password.

As far as your working conditions, did you suffer any damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back