unpaid work

t dennis

Jurisdiction
Texas
I worked for my employer for 5 years as common practice I went to the office manager prior to taking a two week vacation to verify my available vacation time. I was reassured that I had the available time. when I returned I submitted my two week notice to my employer. After one full week of working he in the office manager took me aside and said they recalculated my vacation and sick time and she gave me time off according to my continued work through the end of the year. So I owe him 40 hours and he will be keeping my last paycheck and I can leave now so I didn't even get to finish out my two week notice as well. Is this legal who do I contact to find out my rights I could really use that last paycheck.

I worked for my employer for 5 years as common practice I went to the office manager prior to taking a two week vacation to verify my available vacation time. I was reassured that I had the available time. when I returned I submitted my two week notice to my employer. After one full week of working he in the office manager took me aside and said they recalculated my vacation and sick time and she gave me time off according to my continued work through the end of the year. So I owe him 40 hours and he will be keeping my last paycheck and I can leave now so I didn't even get to finish out my two week notice as well. Is this legal who do I contact to find out my rights I could really use that last paycheck.

I suppose the employer will say, "mistakes were made, sorry".
An employer doesn't have to allow you to work for two weeks after you resign.
You worked for one week, and he says you owe him one week.
You can sue him in small claims court, or you can report the matter to TWC:

Employee Rights & Laws — Texas Workforce Commission

Back