Unpaid Invoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevada_Surveyor

I am a Professional Surveyor in the state of Nevada and I have done work for a friend (jerk) of mine for several years.
He apparently has decided to sell his construction business, which I happen to find out by accident through an mutual friend.

The problem is that I billed him in February for roughly $3500.00 and have not yet received a payment. I've recently called him to inquire when I might receive payment and he has told me that his hands are tied and that he cannot pay the bill while the process of selling his business is taking place. I have a gut feeling that he does not intend to pay me or anybody after the sale.

His business is a underground utility construction company that does most of his work for our local municipalities. From what I understand he is bonded so that he can work on these large projects. Can I file a lien agaisnt the bonding company to receive payment for my fees?

This is where I not sure what to do to recover my fees.

Any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Easy one...

Tell you're friend that you simply cannot forget about $3,500 in fees and demand payment. It's very important you do this with a certified letter via US mail, include a detailed invoice of the jobs you performed, the dates, amount, etc.

Take the high road first and be friendly... end the call (don't let it get hostle) and give him time to think about doing what is right (it takes people a few hours to know what is the right thing to do).

Follow-up with a phone call to let him know the letter is on the way and you're going to take the next step, should he choose to ignore it.

Next, if the sale of the company is "of official business" your friend would be nearly breaking the law without disclosing the full extent of the liabilities (i.e. unpaid invoices) to the acquiring company. You'll need to file suit pretty quickly... in small claims, just go down to the court house with a copy of the invoice you mailed to your friend and fill out the short small claims form. Your friend will get the letter and the point.

You can also let the city building office know, they may pull his license or apply pressure another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back