Union health insurance

Robsndr

Jurisdiction
California
I am a 25 year Union electrician. I have spent the majority of my career working away from my home local union. When I travel to other area I am working under different negotiated contracts which are negotiated to pay up to $10 per hour more in health insurance than is sent back to my local for my insurance resulting in thousands or even tens of thousands a year that is staying behind in the local I am working in. Shouldn't this be my money since it is a negotiated contract that I am working under? This is a huge issue in the Ibew. Many members are getting sick of this. Because we are contract labor our insurance lapses quite often and we are forced to pay out of pocket or go without insurance which then cost us out of pocket at the end of the year with the current healthcare tax laws. The tens of thousands of dollars is just me. Multiply that by the tens of thousands of Ibew members traveling the country and it is just sickening. Thank you

You'll need to review the union contract. If you have concerns, take them up with your union rep. If you still have concerns, then contact an attorney. There's simply no way that an internet forum is going to solve this for you. Good luck.

How this all works is entirely a matter of the union contracts with the employers for which you're working. Take the matter up with your union rep or consult with a labor attorney.

Shouldn't this be my money since it is a negotiated contract that I am working under?

One might certainly think so, however, the union behaves otherwise.

It might be time for YOU to organize all affected union brothers and sisters to have this matter remedied.

It might be time for you to run for union office so that you can help fix this mess for your union brothers and sisters.

My son-in-law was a member of the IBEW in DuPage County IL.

He gave up his safety, security, and income to enlist in the army after 911.

At age 35 he made it through basic training and became a cavalry scout.

He completed numerous tours in Afghan and Iraq.

Sadly he was killed by an IED in Afghan in 2011.

Sorry for digressing, but your IBEW reference made me think of a true American patriot.

Unions are a bust in my thoughts. You state that your union has several different contracts over the area you work. You will need to talk with the local your out of about this issue. I would say your still out of luck as they only want to take your money. I have a friend that worked 29 1/2 years at a company. His contract was after 30 years he could retire at any age with 2500.00 plus medical insurance. Guess what.... The company filed for bankruptcy. Now he will only get 1500.00 at the age of 60 with NO medical insurance. Good luck in working with the union to get this squared away. If this is a big issue with many people effected... maybe a lawyer would take the case.

Back