Unfair Job Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

airolg

I would like to know if I have a valid and strong reason for filing an informal grievance complaint regarding the department's process of job selection. After the interview, 3 people were seleted and I was not one of them. Compared to the 3 selectees, I'm the most senior and have equivalent if not more knowledge in the work that the position entails. I heard being compared to one of the selectees - that I didn't do as well as that person. That person has been in the job for only 8 mos. whereas I've been in the job for 11 years. I received consistently an Outstanding Performance award for the whole time I've been with the agency. My immediate supervisor was not consulted/referred. My managers were even "schocked" to hear of the result. I felt the selection was mostly based on association, likeability, and race. What do you think or say.:mad: :mad:

The first thing I say is that you should have posted this in the employment law section, not in the section for the rules of the forum.

Where is your evidence that race was involved?

The company is not required to promote the person with the most experience, the longest tenure, or the most job knowledge. Indeed, sometimes that person is more valuable where they are and left in place for that reason.

It is not illegal to use likeability or association as determining factors.

The ONLY way you would have any kind of legal recourse would be if you had some valid and supportable evidence to support a claim that race was a deciding factor. If you have any such evidence, you have not supplied it here.

We have no way of knowing what internal grievance procedures your company may provide or what kind of evidence you would need to go through whatever procedure that may be.

You might feel race was an issue, but do you have proof?
doesn't sound like it you are just assuming.

I would like to know if I have a valid and strong reason for filing an informal grievance complaint regarding the department's process of job selection. After the interview, 3 people were seleted and I was not one of them. Compared to the 3 selectees, I'm the most senior and have equivalent if not more knowledge in the work that the position entails. I heard being compared to one of the selectees - that I didn't do as well as that person. That person has been in the job for only 8 mos. whereas I've been in the job for 11 years. I received consistently an Outstanding Performance award for the whole time I've been with the agency. My immediate supervisor was not consulted/referred. My managers were even "schocked" to hear of the result. I felt the selection was mostly based on association, likeability, and race. What do you think or say.:mad: :mad:

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. Let me ask you this - did you get any feedback from anyone as to why you weren't selected? Did you ask? "Likeability" is not an unimportant criterion and I have to make calls like this every day when I interview - how well will this person get along with the rest of the team? I've met people whose disposition was rather disagreeable from the start, just by way of example. I am surprised about the 10 year disparity but let's try to be objective first - can you get some feedback? Was there any criteria that was mentioned to you during the interview? How about the kind of skill needed for the job itself?

This is not legal Advice!

Your Quote: "I felt the selection was mostly based on association, likeability, and race. What do you think or say".

I personally like to be liked for who I am and not what I am trying to become.
From your short story, it seems the only "RACE" issue here is there were three people in one and you fell short of the finish line.

It matters not if you have been in a job 10 years or 10 minuets. You either have what the person at that time is looking for or not.

I for one also employ people and I look for drive, enthusiasm, punctuality and a positive healthy attitude. Calm yourself down and try to reflect this situation.

Take care

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back