Unethically Fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeast0108

I have been employed by a Missouri city government as a tree trimmer in the electric department for 4 years. In this past year our department voted to join a union, IBEW. During this whole process we were threatened by the city administrator in written letters that there would be consequences and that our pleasant working environment would change if the union was voted in. We felt it would be in our best interest to join, but we have not yet sucessfully negotiated a contract.

A co-worker and I often visit the same gas station for drinks daily on breaks and lunch. We have become casually aquainted with a female employee of the gas station and often have friendly conversations with the woman. Last thursday we were called into city hall at the end of the day and told that her manager had complained that we were harrassing her employee and that we were being terminated. Our supervisor was there and asked to keep us because we were needed, and the gas station employee stated to the city she was not being harrassed and that she in no way felt it should have been reported. Still, we were given no warning verbal or otherwise, we were simply terminated effective immediatly. My co worker decided to appeal the termination and was told by the city administrator he would not accept an appeal, and not to even bother trying. We both feel that this is unfair and that perhaps we are being used as an example to other members of our department. Is their anything that we can do? We are technically union members, but do not yet have a contract. Can the union still help us fight this, or must we go another route? Is is even worth it, do we have solid grounds to fight? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Yes the union can still file a complaint with the NLRB for unfair labor practice, they may be able to arbitrate when the contract is ratified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back