Unethical Practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3V17e

A stipulation for my divorce was signed and agreed between my ex and I on 3/09. My attorney did not charge me any money until the end. Needless to say it is a significant amount of money 30k I owe him. I am presently working on getting him paid and have paid him a partial amount.

Considering that a year after the stip was signed has elapsed, I decided to check on the matter and the judges assistant tells me after all this time, that I must check with my attorney stating: "Call your attorney to move things". Which simply means that he has been holding the final submission until he gets payed.

Isn't this unethical practice, taking into consideration that is should have been processed?

Depends - did your attorney say that he would file before he was paid in full?

Did you have a signed contract or retainer agreement?
If so, review it.
Either way, call your attorney and keep your part of the bargain.
You do know, that your attorney can petition the court to be wthdrawn from your case?
If he/she should prevail, you start all over again.

Did you have a signed contract or retainer agreement?
If so, review it.
Either way, call your attorney and keep your part of the bargain.
You do know, that your attorney can petition the court to be wthdrawn from your case?
If he/she should prevail, you start all over again.

What part of the bargain? I did not state that there was an agreement for payment. In actuality, when attained, he stated that it would cost only the retainer fee... it was 5 times that cost.

A better question is, regardless of agreement, once the judge signs the stip, one would think the attny MUST submit what is required by the judge to close the case.

Not if he hasn't been paid, he doesn't...

..the real question is, what did your attorney say when you asked these questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back