Unemployment help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn79

I collected unemployment for a while then I found a temporary part-time job (I worked there for about 4 or 5 weeks) While I worked, I didn't know I was supposed to report my earnings from the part-time job to unemployment, so I didn't. I was also still claiming benefits. I worked from about the first day in May until the 6th of June. I now have a full time job and I have stopped claiming unemployment. Now I find out I wasnt supposed to claim benefits while I worked at the part-time job. I contacted unemployment a few days ago and explained my situation. Now what... Am I in trouble? I didnt know what I was doing was illegal. Do I just wait for unemployment to contact me now? Or did I make a mistake by even contacting them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Of course you're in trouble. If you're lucky, they will not charge you with fraud. You'll have to pay back the overpayments.

The fact that you came forward voluntarily is to your benefit. The state would have found out about your part-time earnings eventually.

Every state sends a brochure to new claimants. You obviously didn't read it. Bad mistake.

Yes, once I figured out that it was illegal. I reported it. I called the 1800 number since that was the only number I could get threw to. I spoke to a representative and explained the situation to her. I asked her if I was going to get in trouble she replied "no". And also said the fact that your reporting it now is good. But who knows. She also said I should be receiving a questionnaire in the mail. What will it consist of?

In your state, I honestly don't know. You'll just have to wait and find out. They will want the overpayment back, though, no question about that.

I collected unemployment for a while then I found a temporary part-time job (I worked there for about 4 or 5 weeks) While I worked, I didn't know I was supposed to report my earnings from the part-time job to unemployment, so I didn't. I was also still claiming benefits. I worked from about the first day in May until the 6th of June. I now have a full time job and I have stopped claiming unemployment. Now I find out I wasnt supposed to claim benefits while I worked at the part-time job. I contacted unemployment a few days ago and explained my situation. Now what... Am I in trouble? I didnt know what I was doing was illegal. Do I just wait for unemployment to contact me now? Or did I make a mistake by even contacting them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most states won't prosecute people for this type of "mistake".
Many states will send you a dunning letter.
they'll blather, bluster, and demand you pay.
Truth is they very often have little power to do anything other than try to get their money back through your IRS or state tax returns.
If they can't do that, they wait until the next time you file for unemployment.
If your benefit is $100 per wekk and you owe them $300, they'll take thye money out of your unemployment claim.
Once they've satisfied their claim, yiy begin to get paid.

I don't know what NY will do, but i suspect, NOT much.
They'll probably do one (or more) of teh things I've reported above.
I just worked out an "arrangement' for a guy who had done this for SIX months.
Needless to say, he owed Texas taxpayers a little bit NORTH of $6,000.
The state took his offer in compromise of $2,500 in a lump sum payment, and relieved him of any and all penalties.
This doesn't always work.

Anyway, I wouldn't stress too much over this.
Just don't do it again, and congratulations for fighting your way back into the workforce!

Thanks very much, I appreciate your feedback. I am hoping they just let me pay the money back without taking it to court or anything. I have never been in any kind of trouble before and I realize this was a very stupid mistake on my part. I am going into the nursing field and I can't afford to have any criminal charges or criminal history. I have contacted unemployment again yesterday to see what the status of my report is and they said it's still waiting for someone to pick up the case. I feel I have done the right thing by reporting it. I know some people don't and just wait to see what comes of it, but I cant live my life in fear wondering if Im going to get a letter any day stating that I have commited fraud. So all I can do is wait and see what the outcome is... Thanks again

I didn't know I was supposed to report my earnings from the part-time job to unemployment, so I didn't.

Yes, you knew. You were advised of this responsibility when you accepted unemployment, and they have your signature on a statement indicating that you are aware of this. If you did not read the documents, that is your own fault.
They will most likely make you repay whatever you collected from them during that period.
You have informed them... just wait and see what happens.

It is generally a requirement when submitting your weekly claims to answer questions related to your work status. For example, "during the week ending xx-xx-xxxx were you prepared to go to work? Did you do any work of any kind for which you were compensated? etc. -- you must have seen it. Anyway, good you called them and put the best face on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back