Unemployment benefits.

Southpaw_87

Jurisdiction
California
Hello.

Two years ago I was hired for a city job in California. My contract was for 6 months but kept getting renewed and I ended up working for the city for 2 years. 1 and a half weeks before my contract was over I was informed it would not be renewed. I resigned the same day because at the moment I had other work options that wanted me to work right away. Things didn't end up going well and now I'm applying for unemployment but unsure if I should file my separation category as "quit" or as "laid off". Any advice is much appreciated.

J

Well...if I understand your story, you quit Job #1 in order to take Job #2. You apparently no longer have Job #2, but you didn't tell us why ("things didn't end up going well" doesn't tell us anything about whether you were fire or quit or what).

Sorry about the confusion. My request for unemployment is based on job number 1. Job number 2 wasn't a good fit liked I had hoped so never accepted the job. Hope that clears things up.

Sorry about the confusion. My request for unemployment is based on job number 1. Job number 2 wasn't a good fit liked I had hoped so never accepted the job. Hope that clears things up.

However you try to classify it, for whatever reasons that caused Job #2 to go off the rails, you VOLUNTARILY RESIGNED (as in QUIT) Job #1.

You have the ability to print or type any reason you desire, but the truth as I understand it is you now have no job because you quit Job #1.

Best of luck, mate.

However you try to classify it, for whatever reasons that caused Job #2 to go off the rails, you VOLUNTARILY RESIGNED (as in QUIT) Job #1.

You have the ability to print or type any reason you desire, but the truth as I understand it is you now have no job because you quit Job #1.

Best of luck, mate.

I was hired for job #1 to temporarily replace someone who was out on disability. When I was informed my contract would not be renewed I resigned. Given the uncertainties of having a temp job I always applied for different jobs when my deadline was close. I couldn't keep job number 1 even if I tried.

I can see that one going either way, but honestly? I doubt it. They had work for you and you turned it down. But one should always file for unemployment anyway. If you do apply you might and you might not get it; if you don't, you definitely won't.

I was hired for job #1 to temporarily replace someone who was out on disability. When I was informed my contract would not be renewed I resigned. Given the uncertainties of having a temp job I always applied for different jobs when my deadline was close. I couldn't keep job number 1 even if I tried.

I'm a nobody, a nothing, just a piece of internet crap, mate.

You don't need to explain anything to me.

You will need to explain everything the UI people wish to know.

If you tell them IMPOTENT PEEPULLS at UI it won't help you.

Why?

You've just rephrased in many words, what could have been said in two words, "I quit".

You also said the following:

I resigned the same day because at the moment I had other work options that wanted me to work right away.

Things didn't end up going well

The above words normally fall on the deaf ears of the IMPOTENT PEEPULLS at UI, but to paraphrase what @cbg said, Noting ventured, nothing gained.

Yup. The answer to the question asked in your original post is (apparently) that you quit. Whether the fact that you quit a week and a half before you were non-renewed because you thought (incorrectly) that you had another job lined up will mitigate that is something I can't answer.

Back