Unclaimed property of deceased relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksgal

Usually I answer question but we have one to ask today. My husband was on unclaimed site for our state. He found several monies and stock, he had seen before on site, plus a new one. Total is near $3000.00. He had told his sister few years back when he found the monies and stock then worth less than a grand. She told their Aunt who was in charge of things when both my husbands Grandparents died. The will of his Grandmother, last to decease, left his Aunt, not my Husband;s Father, in charge but there were instructions of who got what. Neither his Aunt or the Attorney found these items and few years back when my husband did it appears nothing was done. So how can my Husband and his sister go after these funds/stocks the state is holding since his Aunt is not? This is of special interest to my husbands sister who is in a severe financial mess. My husband owes the state money so he knows he wouldnt get a dime. Any suggestions are welcome. This will have to be a do it yourself job, although not smart, since my sister in law has no money and we arent spending money on a Lawyer just to see Arnold get it

Should the funds form part of the grandmother's estate? I ask because maybe they belonged to the grandfather, and should be distributed according to his will.

The Grandfather died ten or more years before the Grandmother. All items except one, which has Aunts name on it as well its death benefits. All other items are listed with both Grandparents names. I guess the question is if the Aunt doesnt claim the monies can my Sister In law do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back