Unaware of an incident I was in?

jefcam3

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Yesterday I received a phone call from the local police department on February 14th about an incident that happened February 9th. A woman claims she was rear-ended by me. I have no knowledge of contact and therefore went on my way. There is damage to her vehicle and none to mine. It WAS in stop and go traffic from my knowledge, but again I do not recall making any contact. I have been issued a ticket for following too closely and now I have to appear in court for the offense.

Is this something I should pursue to get my sentence lowered of just bite the bullet for something I do not recall doing?

I suggest you retain an attorney.
The woman's next action will be to seek car repairs, and medical compensation.
A wise motorist will always report any accident, including allegations, to her or his insurance company.
Your policy requires you to do so anyway.

I have no knowledge of contact and therefore went on my way.

What does that mean?

Do you have knowledge of something other than contact?

Did the woman stop, get out of her car, look at you, talk to you, get your information, walk around your car and write down your license plate number?

How did she get enough information about you for the police to find you and give you a ticket if there was no contact and you just went on your way?

I suggest you retain an attorney.
The woman's next action will be to seek car repairs, and medical compensation.
A wise motorist will always report any accident, including allegations, to her or his insurance company.
Your policy requires you to do so anyway.

I have gotten information from the other party and I have submitted the claim to my insurance company but she has not. I'm aware that there is no way of proving anything, but I do know that since I'm being accused that my insurance will have to take action and has been done. I'm just asking more along the lines of court and how do I proceed with moving forward?

What does that mean?

Do you have knowledge of something other than contact?

Did the woman stop, get out of her car, look at you, talk to you, get your information, walk around your car and write down your license plate number?

How did she get enough information about you for the police to find you and give you a ticket if there was no contact and you just went on your way?

Thats the part that I don't know. I don't recall making contact. From what the officer told me she drove about a mile before she pulled over and contacted them.

I'm just asking more along the lines of court and how do I proceed with moving forward?

If your defense is that you weren't aware of contact then you will likely lose on the citation.

If your defense is that you didn't hit her then plead not guilty, get an attorney, and have the attorney tear her up on the stand. You won't know how to do it.

All you can do is report the "accident" to your ins. co. which it seems you did & retain an attorney since you received a ticket & have to go to court.

Back