Unable to locate original will, only a copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

answersneeded

My mother passed away last month and she did leave a will but I am only able to find a copy of it not the original. She had named me as Personal Representative in her will and I filed a Petition for Probate and Appointment of Personal Representative with the court. I included a copy of her will the Petition and received a response back from the court that the original will is required. They had already checked and the original was not on file with the court. I called the attorney who had drawn up the will and was told they do not keep originals and they do not have the original will there.

Is there anyway to file the Petition with a copy of the will instead of the original? If not, does this mean her estate will be handled as if she died intestate?

I appreciate any assistance. Still searching for that original!

Nancy

I am sure there is. Originals go missing all the time. Ask the attorney who drew up the will. Most keep originals, and if this one did not, he will know how to have a copy filed with the court. Likely you'll need to make an application to court to have a copy certified by the court as true.

thanks for the reply. I did call the attorney who had originally drawn up the will. He said that they do not keep originals at his office. He also told me that it would have to be handled as intestate but I plan to check with another attorney. I think there must be a way to use the copy of the will I just need to figure out how.

thanks again,

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back