Unable to contact EEOC investigator and its now 60 days from complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpshui

Greetings, and thank you in advance.

I submitted a complaint with the EEOC in September after I was wrongfully terminated in retaliation of complaining against a co-worker and my manager for harassment and discrimination. With the documentation that I provided, EEOC felt that I had a case for Age, Sex, Unequal Pay and retaliation. I was terminated one month after I filed the harassment and discrimination charges to HR.

My concern is that I have been unsuccessful in contacting the investigator at EEOC. I understand that the office is behind because of the two weeks government shut down, but when I submitted the complaint it was signed by my investigators manager the same day, and I was given a copy of it. It is now 60 days and no response from EEOC.

Can you please tell me what my next step should be?

Greetings, and thank you in advance.

I submitted a complaint with the EEOC in September after I was wrongfully terminated in retaliation of complaining against a co-worker and my manager for harassment and discrimination. With the documentation that I provided, EEOC felt that I had a case for Age, Sex, Unequal Pay and retaliation. I was terminated one month after I filed the harassment and discrimination charges to HR.

My concern is that I have been unsuccessful in contacting the investigator at EEOC. I understand that the office is behind because of the two weeks government shut down, but when I submitted the complaint it was signed by my investigators manager the same day, and I was given a copy of it. It is now 60 days and no response from EEOC.

Can you please tell me what my next step should be?

You can write a letter, send it certified or registered mail, return receipt requested.

But, until the EEOC investigates the matter, you ONLY have an allegation, that's nothing.

They have the right to defend.

My first case ever as a 3rd year law student was an age discrimination case for my father.

The case took 8 years for us to prevail, and ad it's ups and downs.

Bottom line, you'll go months, maybe years and hear NOTHING.

It's a very tough matter, so relax, your journey has just begun.

I think that you do not understand precisely how the process works, mpshui.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have been told that EEO investigators "grade" cases when they come in, and after they have the intitial response from the employer. Like most of us, I suspect they prioritize their work, cases with urgency, and/or strong evidence of wrong-doing may move to the top of the pile. Others without these factors may get buried, delegated or referred to a state agency. I recently got a notice of claim and a decision of "no merit" in the same envelope which had been filed by a former employee who left us over a year ago. Last year I was contacted by a former co-worker in another company regarding a case that was over 5 years old which was just coming up for review. This doesn't mean that they never act swifty, but it does seem to vary with case-load, precived merit and urgency.

Thanks to all

Greetings All,

As per two of the responses above, I called EEOC. I had to wait over an hour for some one to assist. However, based on the case number that I was given the day that I filed the complaint, they had sent to my former employee a 2nd request for more information. It seemed that my case was assigned to a different investigator. I sent her an email asking if I could obtain copies of the company's response and asked several questions. Hopefully this new investigator respond...........Again, THANKS to all who responded. I would never think of calling or even writing to them.....Your response is greately appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back