Transferring knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

lariedinger

My jurisdiction is: California

I am in IT, and my employer is asking me to transfer my knowledge to an outsourcing company. I will be released from my position after the knowledge has be transfered. Am I required by law to transfer knowledge/technical skills I obtained with a previous employer or though my college education?

And what if I accept a position with the outsorcing company...Am I required transfer those same skills?

Define what you mean by, transfer knowledge. Do you mean, teach them what your job entails?

It's less whether a law requires that you do something, than whether a law prohibits the employer from requiring it of you.

Yes, teach them what my job entails.....but my job entails many technical skills. Some of which I brought with me when I came and others that I learned on the job. Can they require me to teach them skills I learned elsewhere.

How many other effected employees are in the same posistion as you?

Can they REQUIRE you to? Well, not unless they hold a gun to your head.

Is it legal for them to do so? Can you be fired for not doing so? Yes and yes.

I am assuming that the "skills you learned elsewhere" are not covered under a non-disclosure agreement that you may have signed with any previous employer.

As I said above, it's not that there is a law giving your employer permission to make this requirement; it's that there is no law prohibiting him from doing so.

Labor law gives employees who refuse as group protection from termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back