Tow truck hit my parked car

checko12

Jurisdiction
California
Hoping I can get some answers. My car wouldn't start the other day so I called AAA roadside to have it towed to a mechanic. My car was parked on the drive way. When the tow truck got there it backed up crashed into the car's grill right below the hood. Then as the tow truck driver tried to lower the ramp he crashed it into the bumper caving it in.

The tow yard is connected to a body shop. They asked me to bring it there so I did. After a few days they called me and said the car was ready to be picked up but they did not fix anything. The grill was still crooked, the bumper was still hanging off at the side, and they kept telling me that's all they would do so I told them I would take it to another body shop.

My insurance sent an adjuster to the new shop who priced the damage. Only thing I have to pay is a deductible which, my agent told me, would be waived since none of this was my fault- only thing is, the tow truck company now does not want to divulge who their insurance company is and will not return my insurance agent's phone call's or mine. What can I do to help get this info and expedite the process?

Also- I have pictures that were taken at the time of the accident as well as the license plate and the driver's ID. The only thing I failed to get was the tow driver's insurance info.

I have pictures that were taken at the time of the accident as well as the license plate and the driver's ID. The only thing I failed to get was the tow driver's insurance info.

I got this off an attorney website.

How to Access a Negligent Driver's Policy

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has the authority to access and retrieve any registered California driver's insurance information. If you were injured by another driver, you may request the insurance information of the at-fault driver by submitting form SR19C to your local DMV office. SR19C, also known as a Financial Responsibility Information Request form, requires you to submit the other driver's license number and/or license plate to track down their information. If you have either piece of information, you may be able to determine if the driver has insurance or not.

the tow truck company now does not want to divulge who their insurance company is and will not return my insurance agent's phone call's or mine.

That's neither your job nor your agent's. Your insurance company has a subrogation department that will handle getting reimbursed by the tow company or its insurance company. Let the experts do their jobs.

I wonder why your agent isn't telling you that.

What did AAA tell you when you discussed this with them?
Well they assigned an agent to us who I tried calling several times leaving messages for and he never got back to me- so I called them again and a new agent took over and said a case was never made. I was told that since it was "roadside assistance", I needed to be in contact with them which makes no sense since the tow company (Hadley Tow) was sent to us by AAA. Anyway, when I questioned why we were being charged the deductible after initially being told it would be waived, our agent seemed upset and told us that they need to find out who the tow truck's insurance is first in order to have the deductible waived.

That's neither your job nor your agent's. Your insurance company has a subrogation department that will handle getting reimbursed by the tow company or its insurance company. Let the experts do their jobs.

Thank you. I wish I knew that and no, my agent didn't mention that- he just told me that in order for the deductible to be waived he needs to find out who the tow truck's insurance is. He seemed upset when I brought it up. He also told me that he had tried to get in touch with the manager of the tow yard several times and has been unsuccessful. That's pretty much where we left off.

What do you suggest I do?

Thank you. I wish I knew that and no, my agent didn't mention that- he just told me that in order for the deductible to be waived he needs to find out who the tow truck's insurance is. He seemed upset when I brought it up. He also told me that he had tried to get in touch with the manager of the tow yard several times and has been unsuccessful. That's pretty much where we left off.

What do you suggest I do?

Back