Tips if you think you're going to be fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleasehelpmeout

Hi everyone. I hope that someone can give me some tips on what someone can do if they think they are going to be wrongfully fired. Making it short, I don't want to sleep with my boss. I know he does although he hasn't come out and said it yet. He just promoted some brainless idiot man who isn't any better than average at his job instead of me. After my boss did this he told me that he would consider me for a promotion too but I'd need to work harder to "play with the team" instead of being an individual player. I am one of the top if not the top producer. He thinks this is a match and we're playing doubles.

So I think he is looking for a way to get me fired since I made it clear that I had other after work obligations. I don't know what I can do to protect myself. It's my word against his and he's obviously had experience before in trying to sleep with the women he works with and protect himself. What can I do to protect myself and make sure my side is presented? I've never had to face this before and I am sure there are some tips some of you can share to women in my situation who are trying to get as much proof of what is going on. I am looking for another job but times are hard and I don't deserve to be fired. This creep does.

The problem with your scenario seems to be that your supervisor has never explicitly or unmistakably suggested that you sleep with him. Nor has he apparently made any inarguably offensive comments to you. He has invited you out after work. You have declined. Consequently, his interactions with you appear ambiguous on the surface.

However, he did pass over you for a promotion in favor of a "brainless idiot." If you can establish through evidence (e.g., superior education; more extensive experience; greater production) that you were an objectively better candidate for the job, then you could have a gender based disparate treatment claim challenging the promotion.

Similarly, if your boss fires you, you will have to establish through comparative evidence that the company has not terminated similarly situated employees under analogous circumstances. If you can marshal or point to such evidence, then you may have a basis for gender based disparate treatment and/or retaliation claim.

In terms of tips, you should surreptitiously collect as much of the aforementioned evidence as you can amass while you continue to work for the company. Additionally, you would likely be well served by consulting with a local employment law attorney.

Thanks esteele. I guess I need some ideas from some people here that have some experience or legal background to know what to look for that can help support my case. It might be stuff that happens to other people or policies, I don't know. I am just not so devious and need some direct ideas to figure out what I should look for.

For starters, you indicated that you are a top performer, if not "the top producer." How do you know? Whatever documentation you have received confirming your high level of performance you should surreptitiously copy and store off-site.

If you have an employee handbook, you should make sure you have a copy at home. What does the handbook say about termination? Do you know anything about any other employees who have been discharged? Did they receive warnings beforehand?

As to the brainless idiot, what has he done or not done which makes him appear incompetent at the job? What is his background? His education? (You should "casually" chat with him. Many, if not most, people thoroughly enjoy talking about themselves. It should not take much for you to have him divulge information about his professional background.)

In short, you need to think about your circumstances with an eye on how would you prove the underlying facts if you had to do so. Discreetly gather as much documentation and other information as possible.

Finally, do not hand your adversary a knife! Continue to perform at a top level. Do not provide your employer with a "legitimate" reason to discipline or terminate you.

OP, I suggest you seek new employment.

This game is one you won't win.

If you believe you have an employment discrimination case, report the matter to the federal or state EEOC.

Otherwise, get out while you can.

Thanks army judge. That is a great idea and even better if I can do it after I start at my new job. Let that piece of garbage deal with it. There are plenty of skeletons in his closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back