Threats to withhold pay

natasha1227

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am receiving the threat that my pay will be withheld for not completing a task. That task does not mean I am not completing other more relevant tasks for the company. I would like to know my legal standpoint with this in the State of Florida. I do not feel comfortable with the situation and I do have these threats in writing. Please advise.

A threat to withhold pay is not illegal. Actually withholding pay is.

However, you are in quite possibly the worst possible state for taking any legal action. There is no state DOL worth mentioning and all wage issues are referred to the US DOL. The US DOL will only support Federal minimum wage or overtime. You'd probably have to go to small claims court. I'm not sure that would be a particularly job-friendly move.

Your best bet is to do whatever it is they are threatening to withhold pay for not doing.

Apparently the company deems this particular task to be more relevant than you do. If you are not comfortable with the conditions you are free to seek work elsewhere. We have several pay plans that require certain performance in order to earn bonuses.

Ok. I am working on the task requested. I am just not comfortable working under these conditions. Thank you for your response.

The solution LONG TERM is to complete the task as requested, while seeking a permanent solution by finding an employer that you believe respects you as a person, and appreciates your work.

Ok. I am working on the task requested. I am just not comfortable working under these conditions. Thank you for your response.

What is your position? Are you an employee or independent contractor? What is the task? What conditions are you not comfortable working under?

Don't expect any real help here without providing details.

Back