Threatened at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

meanmachine

My company has a rehabilitation scheme for ex-offenders, one of which works at my place of work. He has many violent convictions and has spent the last 17 years in jail. Recently me and another member of staff witnessed him with an illegal drug in the staff room. Management were made aware of this but neither me nor my other colleague were the ones who told them. He also said management are going to go round and collect written statements from all members of staff. Obviously he wrongly suspects me and my colleague of telling management, and 2 days ago whilst we were both in the staff room threatened both of us, saying if either of us write a statement he would find out and put us in hospital. In his own words "if we get him sacked, I don't care if I go back in prison" basically he would want revenge. Just wondered if there is legally any protection available and wether this is a sackable offence?

It sounds like he is likely on parole. If so, it may not be too hard to violate him on his terms and go back to prison. The company is likely in close contact with his parole officer and may be asking for the statements at the officer's request.
It is your choice whether to give a statement or not. It sounds like the guy is busted either way.

As for protection... not really. However I suspect the guy likely does not have the means to carry out the threats he makes. If you believe the threat and feel your safety is at risk you should consider making a police report regarding the threat. It could be a separate offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back