Theft of car titles and my passport

C94509

Jurisdiction
California
Wife hasn't lived in the house for around a month. This morning she broke in and stole the titles to all the vehicles and my passport. Can I file them as stolen or press charges. I have a witness that saw her and I changed the locks she got in through the side of the house

Wife hasn't lived in the house for around a month. This morning she broke in and stole the titles to all the vehicles and my passport. Can I file them as stolen or press charges. I have a witness that saw her and I changed the locks she got in through the side of the house

You can and should contact the police and report her crimes.
It'll be helpful if your witness was present when the police arrive.

Can I file them as stolen or press charges.

People don't "press charges" they report crimes and the authorities decide whether to prosecute.

You can certainly report the theft to the police but, realistically, don't expect them to do anything. This is a civil matter between you and your wife and she has likely committed no crime by breaking into her own house and taking titles that have her name on them (do they?).

As for the passport, report that to the passport office immediately for your own protection:

Lost or Stolen Passports

It's likely a federal crime for which she might be subject to prosecution.

You can and should contact the police and report her crimes.
It'll be helpful if your witness was present when the police arrive.
The only issue is she's still on the lease. And we are still technically married. We just started the divorce about a month ago.

People don't "press charges" they report crimes and the authorities decide whether to prosecute.

You can certainly report the theft to the police but, realistically, don't expect them to do anything. This is a civil matter between you and your wife and she has likely committed no crime by breaking into her own house and taking titles that have her name on them (do they?).

As for the passport, report that to the passport office immediately for your own protection:

Lost or Stolen Passports

It's likely a federal crime for which she might be subject to prosecution.
Only one title has her and my name on it the rest are in my name and one of the vehicles was gifted to me by my father

Then she didn't break in. She's entitled to enter, which she did via the keys she was granted by the landlord. As noted above this sounds more like a civil matter other than the passport issue...start there with the authorities and talk about the rest with your attorney.

This is simple.

Visit the local police stationhouse, accompanied by your witness, and ask to file a burglary/theft report.

You'll need such a report when you report the stolen passport to these fine folks:

If you would like to report your own U.S. passport as lost or stolen you can either:

Call the U.S. Department of State at (877) 487-2778 or (888-874-7793 for TTY).

Or, file a Statement Regarding a Lost of Stolen U.S. Passport Book And/Or Card (Form DS-64), sign the statement, and mail it to the address on the form.

Lost or Stolen Passports

If the vehicle titles were without liens I suspect the titles have been used to secure vehicle title loans, otherwise known as CASH!!

If the wife has property inside the home and didn't make her plans to leave permanently known to you then technically she still lives in the house. Just as an FYI, under landlord tenant law there is a requirement to give notice to evict any tenant. Changing the locks during that period (usually at least 30 days prior notice) which results in a lockout could result in action against a landlord. I'm saying this just so that you know that changing the lock doesn't mean anything at all with regard to the legal right to enter a premises. If she is on the title to the home then she could go through the chimney if she wishes. Now if you have a separation agreement, the answers would probably be different. Stealing your passport is a whole other story and perhaps a matter of proof - she may deny taking it at all and only taking what she believes she has a legal right to take. You've got a lot of good answers above.

Back