Theft charge dropped, wasnt arrested... will this show up on BG Check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srcmu

Hi there,

I am currently a senior in college, preparing for job applications and the next step of my life. I have a question that I would like to get answered:

My freshman year of college, I lived in an apartment building off campus. In November, I had purchased a couple playstation controllers and had them delivered to the apartment building. When the package was delivered, I had seen a "delivery notice" (where they put delivery notices for all deliveries, not just mine) posted on the glass in the front of the building and to pick my package up in the office. Long story short, I had accidentally picked up the wrong package. I left campus a few days later due to the death of my boyfriends father, so naturally the package was the least of my concern. Upon arriving back to campus a week later, campus police were knocking at my door asking about the package. I had given it back to them directly, unopened (still taped up in the box it came in), showed them receipts of my purchase (which was waiting in the office, in the box I was supposed to pick up), and all was well. Until about two weeks later when a letter was sent to my house explaining that I was being charged with theft!!! This had been the first and only time anything like this had happened, as my record was squeaky clean.

Fast forward a couple months, I was in court, and the charges were dropped. The judge understood that it was all a misunderstanding. The campus cop was being a prick.

However, I am concerned if this charge will show on any background checks that any future employers may perform. I was never arrested, never had to pay any fines, and the charge was dropped. However, after doing some research, I found in some cases that charges still may show up on Background Checks. Can anyone assist me with this? Thank you!

We can't predict what WILL be revealed on background checks, any more than credit reports.

But, a governmental body sees more than a commercial entity.

If you ever tried to become an FBI agent, for example, I'm sure they'd see it.

If you've been forthcoming, truthful, and direct; most agencies will allow you to offer an explanation.

Then, your application will be judged against your honesty and your statement.

Bottom line, ths is a nebulous area at best!!!

One transgression, mistake, bad choice can (and does) RUIN your future prospects.

Hence, never ARGUE with a police officer, they aren't STICKS, they're doing a job.

Stay off their radar, OBEY all laws!!!!!

I've dealt with BGC data from all but 4 or 5 states, as Army Judge states, it's hard to tell what will be reported. It varries by state and even more so by county. Most fall into one of four classes.
1) Convictions only: However a conviction that was later overturned or ajudicated may still be reported
2) Cases: charges and convistions may be reported with or without the final disposition
3) Everything: arrests, charges, speeding tickets, convictions, complaints etc
4) Nothing:

I'd suggests paying a service to pull a report on you as they would for a employer/client. But don't get in to much of a hurry, it sometimes takes months for case records to be posted. ( FYI: some states have public sites where you can run your own background check)

If a record does appear you can pay an attorney to file the necssary paper work to purge the record, biut still be prepared to discuss the case with potential employers.

No one here knows whether it will show up on a background check - some employers may be able to see it. It also can depend on the type & how thorough of a background check is done. All background checks are not the same.

i'd be honest about it prior to any background check. I've not hired because of something on a BG check but have hired when the applicant told me about it first. And offered a reasonable explanation like you have here. But your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back