The gossip train

Crissie414

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
Im a 24 year old female. I'm having a hard time understanding certain parts of the workforce. I work in retail.
This is my question: is it professional for a manager to friend an employee that works under him/her on facebook? Not only does this certain employee engage in personal conversations with the boss but she thinks she is under her wing, more like she thinks she has more of an advantage towards the rest of the other employees that are leveled in the same position as her.
The gossip train part is where she'll gather all of what he/she (the boss) told her ( the employee) on facebook, assuming, and share it with people at work while on the clock.
I don't want any part of my boss's personal life, just the fact that he gives her the upper hand because they are close, on the flip side this employee treats me like total crap. It feels like a cat and mouse game.
Any advice? Please.

Learn to live with it. Or find another job, one or the other.

It may or may not be professional - it depends on the situation. It may or may not be a violation of company policy. It is not in any way, shape or form illegal. If the company chooses to allow it, there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

If you feel that you HAVE to do something about it you can report it to HR. They will NOT tell you what, if anything they do about it, and I'm by no means convinced it would be a good move on your part. It's just as likely to make HR look askance at you as a whiner and complainer - not a good look for you.

If your mother didn't teach you before now that not everything in life is fair, you're going to have to learn it now.

Learn to live with it. Or find another job, one or the other.

It may or may not be professional - it depends on the situation. It may or may not be a violation of company policy. It is not in any way, shape or form illegal. If the company chooses to allow it, there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

If you feel that you HAVE to do something about it you can report it to HR. They will NOT tell you what, if anything they do about it, and I'm by no means convinced it would be a good move on your part. It's just as likely to make HR look askance at you as a whiner and complainer - not a good look for you.

If your mother didn't teach you before now that not everything in life is fair, you're going to have to learn it now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm already looking for another employment. I just was more curious than concerned about it.

For the record, my manager and I are connected on Facebook because he occasionally needs to send me work related messages while I'm on my way to work ("I'm running late - can you take my 9:00 meeting?" "Janet called in sick - you'll need to redo the daily schedule") and the FB message feature is the most reliable way he has of getting through to me given both his and my access to the internet while traveling. There can be valid reasons for that kind of connection.

is it professional for a manager to friend an employee that works under him/her on facebook?

This seems to be the only question in your post (other than the generic request for "any advice"), but it's not a legal question. It's nothing but a matter of opinion about which reasonable minds might disagree.

is it professional for a manager to friend an employee that works under him/her on facebook?

Sure, because a former president once told the entire nation that sexual relations are private and personal matters.

Back