The blame game

A

Andi84

Jurisdiction
Texas
One of our managers stole narcotic medication from a patient who died last month. Yesterday, our big boss told us about it. They knew who did it, but us nurses are being blamed for it. They opened an investigation and today we had a "random" drug test that only tested four people including myself. The manager who stole these medications isn't saying anything at all. She is receiving no punishment and is allowing us, who had nothing to do with this matter, to take the fall. These managers are white and the people who were tested and being accused are black. What options do I have and is any of this even legal? BTW they took our samples and are throwing them in a big bag and sending the off to a lab instead of is going to a lab.

What options do I have and is any of this even legal?

You can do a few things:

One, obtain your OWN independent drug screen. Do it discretely, don't tell anyone about it, and keep the results at the ready when the FIT hits the SHAN.

Two, don't comment on or discuss this incident.

Three, keep doing your usual fine job, behave as you always have in a professional manner, and serve your patients to best of your abilities.

Four, never let anyone or anything see you sweat, grumble, whine, or complain. Be cheerful, be civil, be polite, and cooperate with the requests of your employer.

Five, allow the investigation to play out, at its pace, and if asked about it by others, simply say, "Sorry, no comment, no disrespect, I am paid to be a nurse; not a news reporter."

Six, all things pass. Don't allow the guilty to get YOU caught up in their drama. You have more than this job to lose. You are a state licensed professional. Protect that license, it is your livelihood, and you worked hard for that degree.

Seven, don't listen to others as they gripe, carp, and discuss this incident. You never know what side others are on, despite their protestations to the contrary, and you don't want to know. You are a professional, a nurse, a licensed practitioner of the art of medicine. You don't want to be known as a purveyor or consumer of gossip and innuendo.

Eight, yes, drug testing is legal. Just go with the flow. Only the thieves, drug abusers, and drug traffickers have anything to fear.

Nine, if you dislike the drama, look for employment elsewhere.

Good luck.

Back