Terminated, unemployment told I quit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancleg

I had received a letter from my employer's local branch stating they "have terminated your employment...", and stated it was for violating a policy I never heard of. My corporate office, who received the same letter, is telling me that this letter says that I voluntarily resigned. That is what they have told unemployment. They also told me that I am welcome to reapply, and that should have been in the letter!

I have already told unemployment that I was fired for a policy violation. Both are reasons for denial of unemployment, so I'm in for a a fight either way....but can they get get away with that?

They "terminated" me because I turned down 2 assignments while laid off. Both times, I got my unemployment after they investigated it. If they side with my employer's theory, will I likely get my unemployment?

Thanks,
Candi

So far, it's still in the investigation stage with unemployment...but this has already been a very frustrating summer and I just want it over. During the initial lay off, they got my unemployment held for about 9 weeks total...a few weeks here, a few there. If unemployment denies the claim, I do plan to appeal. My husband is even more sick of this than I am and doesn't think I should pursue anything beyond unemployment because of the time it takes, but I want to make them pay for everything they've done.

Candi has another thread going which describes a potential ADA violation.

File for the unemployment appeal and reapply for the job.

They've already filled my job, which makes me suspicious (thinking it has more to do with my ADA thread). When I was working there, they were trying to find a part-time/fill-in person for 4 months and could not find anyone. Suddenly, I'm gone and in less than 2 weeks they have the job filled. Because of the location compared to the main office, this is a very difficult site for them to staff.

I am still waiting for an interview with unemployment.

I guess my question is this...how can they legally tell unemployment that I quit, but send me a letter that clearly states I was fired?

I just wanted to say thanks for the input. I got my unemployment payments, but no explanation yet about the approval. I'm guessing that will be coming on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back