Terminated still receiving pay, but never received final paycheck

J

Johnsmith2

Jurisdiction
California
I was recently terminated and have not received a final paycheck. Additionally I was just paid on my normal pay day. In California the employer has to pay for every day they don't pay you your final check up to 30 days. It seems like they're not going to issue a final check. Is the onus on me to inform them that they have not paid me?

I was recently terminated and have not received a final paycheck. Additionally I was just paid on my normal pay day. In California the employer has to pay for every day they don't pay you your final check up to 30 days. It seems like they're not going to issue a final check. Is the onus on me to inform them that they have not paid me?

When you inquired of the employer's payroll department about the payments you have received and the payment you haven't received, what were you told?

I would start by having a conversation with someone in the payroll department.

After that conversation you might be more informed.

Heck, you might not have been terminated.

Maybe you were a star employee and the company is reluctant to see you go.

Let's put it this way.

Whether or not you will receive the extra pay for each day late is NOT a guarantee, but is at the discretion of the DLSE. They are far more likely to award it if you've actually made some kind of effort to solve the problem yourself, instead of sitting around on your ass counting your anticipated extra pay.

Is the onus on me to inform them that they have not paid me?

That is where you would start. If you still do not receive all the pay you are entitled to, then file a claim/complaint with the Ca. DLSE.

Back