Termed for not doing something NOT in your job description

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperu07

I work for a private business owner and he doesn't exactly play by the rules. We have ''mandatory'' meetings every monday for about 20 minutes for the office workers just basically going over things we already are aware of. During the last holiday season I had to work at another job because this employer is paying $5.50 less than my previous employer. During this time I did not have to attend these meetings since my jobs were so far from each other. On mondays I get off of work 2 hours before the meeting is scheduled to start in which time he told me to take a break until the meeting. I told him I would work until the meeting if he wants me there because if I go home I am not going to come back since I do live 30 minutes from my job. He said if I do not show up for the meetings every monday then I can't work there anymore.

My question is, can he threaten my job if I do not do something that not in my job description or in any of the papers I signed?

He can not only threaten your job, he can actually fire you.

Job descriptions, with limited exceptions that do not apply here, have no legal status. Your job description is whatever your employer says it is, and he can change it every day if he wants to. Nor does he have to tell you, at hire, everything that you will ever be required to do. Unless you have a bona fide, legally binding contract or CBA that EXPRESSLY says that you will never have to do anything not listed there, your boss can legally require you to do anything that is not illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards, and fire you if you do not comply.

Fair? Possibly not. Legal? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back