Tenant Stealing Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricdric

A tenant of mine has been stealing mail over the past few months, what would be the best way to catch him in the act?

First does this tenant have legal access to your mailbox? In other words do you rent a room or something where both of your mail comes to the same box? You could try setting up a camera somehow. It is a federal offense to take something out of someones mailbox, I would let them know that. To put a stop to it for the meantime you could get a po box. Good luck.

The complaint doesn't quite make sense. Why would your mail be accessible to your tenant?
Install a locking mailbox if necessary. As said above, either you or the tenant could get a PO box.

A mailbox with a lock is a great idea.
You must, however, get the permission of your local postmaster or postmistress.
I have one.
Permission today, however, doesn't come easy.
But, I'd look into it.
About the alleged mail thief, report him to your local postal inspector.
They'll direct you further.

Last edited:
He is renting one of the rooms at my rental house, and all of the mail that's directed to that address is all going to one mailbox. I have a place where if any mails come to that address, addressed to me, it would be placed in a separate box. That's the understanding that we had before he signed the contract. Now we are in the process of evicting the tenant because he hasn't paid rent for the past few months. During that process, he's been taking my mail. Would it be legal if I set up a camera on the premises without him knowing? I would like to find another alternative to catch him.

Have the post office hold your mail at the post office for the next 30 days.

Speak with the postmaster.

The camera idea is a waste of time.

You're not a cop.

The tape isn't necessarily admissible in court.

Continue the eviction and speak with the postmaster.

Have the post office hold your mail at the post office for the next 30 days.

Speak with the postmaster.

The camera idea is a waste of time.

You're not a cop.

The tape isn't necessarily admissible in court.

Continue the eviction and speak with the postmaster.

Will do. I appreciate the help.

Hi Army Judge,

I went back on this forum to ask you, specifically you, for some general information. My situation with my tenant got worse. I'd like to keep this situation confidential. So if you can PM me that would be great. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back