1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Teacher License

Discussion in 'Juvenile Crime, Law & Court' started by Mustang, May 31, 2016.

1. Mustang

Mustang Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Texas
    I was a juvenile when I was charged and convicted of assault. I completed court ordered probation and had my records sealed (when I turned 19) under Sec 58.003 . Does Texas Family Code Sec 58.003 (j) apply to all licenses including teaching or a professional engineering (PE). What about education code 22.085 .

Thank you.

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

What did the state school board/teachers' association say when you called them and asked them your question?

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

That's the last thing in the world the OP should be doing.

Section 22.085 says he SHALL (meaning no ifs, ands, or buts) be fired or refused employment IF the employer learns of conviction of any of the qualifying crimes.

Since his juvenile records are sealed he should let sleeping dogs lie and not poke the bear.

4. adjusterjack

58.003(j) appears to be all inclusive, for ANY license or employment, so you can answer no to any question that pertains to that record and the answer cannot be used against you in any civil or criminal proceeding.

However, being fired or denied employment is not a civil or criminal procedure so, under Education Code 22.085, IF the employer happens to somehow learn about the record of a qualifying offense, the employer SHALL fire you or deny you employment (no ifs, ands, or buts.)

5. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

He can't make an anonymous call?

6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I know quite a few that have made a call to seek answers.
    None were required to identify themselves.

7. adjusterjack

He could.

Though it would be foolish to rely on any answers he gets on the phone, one way or the other.