Taxes as a remote worker

E

europeantrotter

Jurisdiction
California
Hi,

I'm a European citizen that has worked for 4 years for an American company. The contract I had stated that at no point I should consider myself an employee and they weren't paying taxes for me. Now I am thinking of moving to the US in a couple of months and I am wondering if this is going to affect me once I try to find a job (aka if they are going to ask me about the employer paying my taxes). I'd also like to add that I've never been to the US.

Maybe something is lost in translation but I can virtually guarantee a future employer is not going to care about your tax situation before you worked for them. What they might care about, is how you represent the work you did for that other employer. It sounds like you were treated as an independent contractor and not an employee. In other words, you essentially worked for yourself but had this US company as a client. You will want to be clear that you were a contractor when representing past employment. By and large it doesn't matter but many employer do verify what is put on a CV/resume/application by calling past employers. Contractors may be handled by a different department than employees and there wouldn't be a record of you as an employee.

Back