T-Mobile Phone Upgrade Issue

Yort

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

I recently upgraded iPhones with T-Mobile for myself and my wife. T-Mobile allows a 30 day time period from the time you receive your new phones in the mail to return your old phones to them. The date that I was communicated by T-Mobile in the contract and via text was 10/15/22.

On the dat eof 10/15/22, my wife and I were planning to go to the local T-Mobile store to return the old phones. Prior to leaving to go to the store, I received 2 texts from T-Mobile (1 for each phone) that I now had until 10/22/22 to return the phones in order to continue to receive the promotional credits for the old phones. So, my wife and I decided that since we had an extra week that we would wait until the next day to return the phones. On 10/16/22, we returned the phones to the local store, and we believed that everything was fine.

The next day on 10/17/22, I was notified that we had lost out on the promotional credits for the old phones because we did not return the phones by the initial communicated date of 10/15/22. I contacted T-Mobile to explain why we had waited until 10/16/22 and they associates were sympathetic and understood why I had waited. However, they continually told me that their system wouldn't allow them to adjust the promotion since I had turned them in late. I asked for some sort of credit to my account instead, but they were not willing to assist. Here is one of the messages I received from an associated:

"The text message is a reminder that you need to return the device. I totally understand that the message indicates that you will still receive the promotional credits. However, since it is already past the original date to return the device. The system will automatically remove the promotional credits for the device."

I tried to ask why T-Mobile would have sent a deceptive text message telling me that I can still get my promotion if I return the phones within an extra week, but they would not respond to that question.

I have the text messages on my phone still and I have sent T-Mobile screenshots, but they are not able to provide me with the credit that I believe I am still due.

Do I have the ability to take T-Mobile to small claims court for this? Do I have a shot of getting my promotion applied if I do, or does the contract with the original date of 10/15/22 trump the deceptive text message sent by T-Mobile telling me that I had an extra week?

Thanks in advance.313465374_811590810093649_692285688991977056_n (1).jpg

By the way, the total amount I lost due to the promotion no longer being valid is $1,400 for the two phones.

By the way, the total amount I lost due to the promotion no longer being valid is $1,400 for the two phones.

Nothing prevents you from filing a small claims lawsuit against anyone, including your mobile carrier.

I am not telling you that you'll prevail, only that you have the ability to initiate a small claims court lawsuit.

I won't opine about the outcome, only to say that one party often prevails, while the other party doesn't.
Good luck.

Do I have the ability to take T-Mobile to small claims court for this? Do I have a shot of getting my promotion applied if I do, or does the contract with the original date of 10/15/22 trump the deceptive text message sent by T-Mobile telling me that I had an extra week?

Send an email to one of the corporate executives. See if that gets you anywhere.

Executive Contacts
Jon Freier

Prsident, T-Mobile Consumer Group
PO Box 37380
Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380
jon.freier@t-mobile.com

Chief Executive
Mike Sievert
President and CEO
PO Box 37380
Albuquerque, NM 87176-7380
425-378-4000