Switching my case

Alicia gleason

Jurisdiction
Missouri
My kids are in the system as of right now here in missouri. Me and my kids are originally from ohio. I am ready to go back. How can I go back and work on my case in ohio until they can switch my case and take my kids to ohio to get custody back of them?

You need to speak to your attorney. What do you mean your kids are "in the system?" Who has custody of the kids now? Legal action for these sorts of things stems from WHERE THE CHILDREN ARE, not where you are or want to be.

My kids are in the system as of right now here in missouri. Me and my kids are originally from ohio. I am ready to go back. How can I go back and work on my case in ohio until they can switch my case and take my kids to ohio to get custody back of them?
I assume that the children were removed from your care. Why on Earth would you think that it is a good idea to move while you have an active CPS case? MO is not going to allow the children to move to OH.

What were the findings that caused you to lose custody to CPS? How old are the children?

Talk to a lawyer.
CPS won't let you take the kids if you don't have custody of them. It sounds like by you saying "in the system" they must be in the custody of the state and likely in foster care? You can move to Ohio but they won't go with you - and you're going to have to fight your case from Ohio. You probably shouldn't move until the case is resolved.

But really a lawyer is the only one who can help you. Find those who offer free consultations.

My kids are in the system as of right now here in missouri

Which "system" would that be, and why are you in it?

How can I go back and work on my case in ohio

So...you're "in the system . . . in [M]issouri" but you also have a "case in [O]hio"? Huh?

until they can switch my case

Who are "they," and what does "switch my case" mean?

and take my kids to ohio to get custody back of them?

As my questions should indicate, it's not at all clear what your situation is. If, as appears to be the case, you've lost custody of your kids, it's unlikely that anyone is going to allow you to take them to another state.

I suggest you confer with and retain the services of a local attorney.

How can I go back and work on my case in ohio

Nothing is preventing you from fleeing MO to OH.

The case, however, likely does prevent YOU from taking your children with you.

Missouri law requires that a CD Children's Service Worker initiate an investigation/family assessment within 24 hours of the receipt of the report, unless the incident relates to educational neglect only, in which case an investigation/family assessment must be initiated within 72 hours.

The purpose of the investigation/family assessment is to detect cases of actual or potential abuse or neglect and to help the family and the child. If the child is reported to be in immediate danger, the Children's Service Worker must immediately and directly observe the child.

An investigation is a response to a report of child abuse or neglect when there is an identified need to collect physical and/or verbal evidence to determine if a child has been abused or neglected and to decide whether an individual should be listed in the Central Registry. Investigations are co-investigated with law enforcement when possible.

Investigations primarily include reports of child fatality, sexual abuse, serious physical abuse, serious neglect and reports of child abuse or neglect involving foster parents and institutions such as schools, residential facilities and child care centers.

A family assessment is a response to a report of child abuse or neglect that does not focus on whether a specific individual should be listed in the Central Registry as a perpetrator of child abuse or neglect. Instead, the focus of an assessment is on working with the child and the child's family to identify factors that may place the child at risk of future abuse and neglect, and to offer voluntary, community based services to reduce the risk and support the family.

Family assessments typically include mild or moderate reports of physical abuse or neglect, including medical neglect and educational neglect.

Some people say you can do something.
You read, you decide:

https://getmychildrenback.com/ufaqs/missouri/

Educate yourself:

» Missouri Laws 210.183 – Alleged perpetrator to be provided written description of investigation ..LawServer

Read this and then ask for an attorney:

https://dss.mo.gov/cd/pdf/faq-child-abuse-investigations.pdf

Back