Suspicious Termination

G

Glencoco

Jurisdiction
Washington
I received a call at 10:00 PM from my supervisor, I was told that there was no need to come into work the next day, because he and his nephew (a new hire that I trained) would be taking care of it. He then, nonchalantly, "recommended" that I take some time off. He was unclear about whether or not I was being laid off, I was only told that I should "take some time off, because it is slow." I call the boss immediately afterwards and my call was rejected, I called the next morning and that was also rejected. I then show up to work and speak to the boss about the whole situation. I was told that "he was supposed to call you and tell you that you should file for unemployment, because things around here are so slow." I have all of that taken care of, but I have my questions and concerns. I was also informed that "almost everyone was let go, and there are only 6 guys left" and that "once this last job is done, we don't know what we will do with them." This whole thing seems odd, because about a week or 2 before, I was told that we have a ton of work ahead and that they will need me to go overtime. To make matters worse, my mom was my bosses girlfriend for 6 years...and she ended it with him a couple days before I received the call. I drove past the place and every ones car was there. It seemed that everyone was back at work, and nothing happened at all. Any questions or ideas about what is going on? Is this legal?

Any questions or ideas about what is going on?

Yes, you were terminated.

Is this legal?

Yes, any at will employee can be terminated without notice, without rhyme, without explanation, at any time, even without a valid reason. Forget that nonsense about employment discrimination, NOTHING about ANYTHING you've recited was or is ILLEGAL or DISCRIMINATORY!

Based on what you posted, there wasn't anything illegal done.

File for unemployment ins. & look for other employment.

Good luck.

agree with the others.. it is very possible you lost your employment because your mom broke up with your boss. That is not illegal...any more illegal than him giving you the job in the first place because your mom was his girlfriend at the time.

Whenever personal relationships link to the workplace, you should (generally) expect that if the personal relationship link ever goes bad, so will your employment.

Back