Suspicious Tax Return and Support

James Shaw

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I filed a motion to adjust my child support (CS). My ex's tax return has many suspicious transactions.

1. She reported she worked for Uber and filed 0 (zero) gross earnings and $6000+ expenses (maintenance + gas). But by her Tax Summary from Uber, she made $8,800 gross earnings and $5,900 net earnings.

2. She made $80,500 from "non employee" compensation, but she deducted $250,000 of "consulting fees".

3. She has 2 rental properties with no mortgage. She deducted maintenance, fees and depreciations to make her rental income 0 (zero).

She clearly falsified the tax document to win more money. She claimed zero income and paid no tax and received all medical benefits. What should I do?

Thanks

What should I do?

First thing I suggest you do is report the tax fraud to the IRS and to the NJ taxing authority. I'm sure that both have reporting methods on their websites.

As for refuting her income claims you will probably need a forensic accountant to testify in court as to the fraudulent returns.

You'll only have one chance to convince the judge that she's lying about her income. Just saying it without expert testimony isn't likely to be enough.

What should I do?

You said you filed a motion and then immediately started discussing your "ex's tax return." How did you come into possession of her return? I assume it was because she submitted it in opposition to the motion you filed. Therefore, isn't the obvious answer to your question that you should point out the issues mentioned in your reply brief or at the hearing on your motion?

The smart thing to do, of course, would be to hire (or at least consult with) a local family law attorney.

Back